Resistance vs Free Blowing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Aug 9, 2011.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for all of the thoughts so far... I definitely realize that MOST of the changes need to come from me and not the horn. I have time set up with two instructors I trust to see what they think of where I am and what approach I should take from here.

Pat ... I appreciate the offer... I actually have the opportunity to play the horn I am thinking of buying and hopefully will get to do so this weekend.

In the mean time... anybody interested in my Mt. Vernon Large Bore or my 72 lightweight?;-)

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    The relaxed "exhale" through the horn, gives us plenty of output and very little additional backpressure. If we want the horn to be free blowing, we are trading efficiency for that and have to pump more into the horn to get the same output.

I totally agree.
    The Selmer I lost had a bit more back pressure than the Callet BUT as I made it my "friend" it gave me much more resonance. That is why I miss it so much
    I got atuned to it and could ge LOTS more out of it than the horn I am now playing.

3. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Back when I was playing a good amount of lead stuff I got a good deal on an old French Besson Meha .470 bore. To this day it's still the horn I've had the best BIGGEST sound on... but I was young and dumb and easily influenced when somebody told me "that horn is WAY too big, you'll die on a long gig...." so I sold it. dumb Dumb DUMB!!! Out of the probably 40 horns I have owned over the years that's the ONE I wish I had back. That would be my solution right now... oh well... Live and learn.

4. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    And by the way... I'm driving up to Philly Saturday to try and hopefully acquire the Callet JAZZ if I like it as much as I think I will. :thumbsup:

5. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ

It souds like what I want in a flugel
    Big, warm soft..like a good woman

6. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I am in Cherry Hill NJ 5 miles east of the Franklin bridge
    Feel free to call me during the day up to about 2-3 since we are having a music party later in Collegeville Pa
    Let me know if you want to "hook up" and compare horns
    "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"

7. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland

That might actually be a possibility... I'm not sure exactly what time I am headed up yet.

Are you looking for a flugel? Have you tried a Bach 183 yet? I have one that I am debating selling. It's raw brass but in good shape.

The place I'm going is supposed to be about 6 miles west of Philly... How far would that be from you?

8. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Call me
    (856)428 2800 ext 207
    Everything you mentioned sounds interesting

9. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Pat... don't think I'm gonna get away from work long enough to give you a ring during the day... but I could call this evening if you want, or send you an email with details and pics.

Want a nice Bach 72 lightweight too? buy both from me then I won't have to get rid of my Mt Vernon!!! ROFL

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    From time to time I feel pressure at the back of my skull while playing. I heed the warning for what it is. For me I have been working on using my diaphragm to regulate how much air is going into the horn rather than the tongue and throat. The coordination is a bear, because there are so many more muscles to control than just the tongue, and the amount of air moved changes during the breath. At the end of the day it feels much better. I practice this while swimming or walking, breath in quick and fast with an open mouth, then with the mouth still open and relaxed without holding the breath breath out. Be careful, if you do it to fast you'll hyperventilate. Breath entirely from the diaphragm. The blood pressure rising is due to the lungs pressing against the inside of the rib cage, and forcing the blood in the vessels there into the rest of your body(and head).