Resistance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmaster, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    I have a Getzen Eterna severinson model from the early 60"s and it has much mor resestance than other horns I have played!! and I noticed that it has a very small bell compared to others. what could be the cause of this and how can I fix it? if I can

2. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I'll be the first.

Is it clean?

Richard

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Resistance is 99% player and not hardware. You can lower the resistance by getting a decent daily routine with plenty of long tones and slurs, as well as some breathing exercizes.

Resistance becomes apparent when we try to "force" the horn to do something. learning to play efficiently solves the problem instead of putting a band aid on it by decreasing efficiency.

4. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    I would think it is me but when I play some other horns it feels alot different and others have played my trumpet and said it felt hard to play. aand yes it is clean :)

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Why not try taking it to the shop and seeing if they can find a reason for the added resistance?

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Have the valve alignment checked.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lets look at sneakers. Most runners have a favorite brand that is complementary to the way they walk/run - even although they all essentially do the same thing.

It is no different with the trumpet. I said 99% is the player. The problem of resistance is not how much air goes through the horn, it is the player fighting with the instrument. Sometimes pushing the tuning slide in a quarter of an inch "frees up" the horn. the player is no longer playing "high" on the pitch, rather relaxing more and enjoying more resonance with less work. If a player practices in a small bedroom, they learn to play and focus small. Filling a big room becomes a major chore. The magic of another instrument is usually only fooling your ears/brain for a short period of time. When you buy that instrument, everything goes back to normal after a month or two. There are mANY things that are mistaken for resistance. Most all of them relate to bad breathing skills.

8. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    hmm alright I will take that into consideration thanks for your help

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    JM, I too have a Getzen that I thought had a resistance issue. Try backing off on how "hard" you play it. Meaning, don't try to blow harder to over come the "resistance". I have solved my issue with my 700s by just easing up a bit. Plays quite nicely now....just my $.02 worth....chuck:cool:

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Different horns play differently. If you don't feel comfortable on it, assuming it's in good working order, maybe it's just not a good fit for you.