resonance vs. over-blowing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetpat, Feb 12, 2006.

1. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    hey manny, lately i have been trying to figure out the difference between having a full, centered resonant sound and over-blowing. my instructor always tells me to use more air, to "blow through it" and i know she is right but how can i achieve that kind sound quality without using to much air and over-blowing?...thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Your question is a little hard to interpret because the obvious answer is don't blow hard and create a beautiful sound. It's clear you are asking how to avoid sounding harsh and have a free approach.

One thing I'd suggest is buying a duplicate of your current mouthpiece and having someone drill out the throat to something larger so you can alleviate the back pressure. I think that'll give you a better shot at blowing more freely.

ML

3. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    sorry if i was unclear. what i meant to say is how do i find that happy median between over-blowing and playing soft and tight. i know the obvious answer would be don't blow to hard or to soft but i am having difficulty realizing, for lack of a better term, the correct amount of air...or maybe it is how i should blow into the horn...hmmm, i might have just answered my own question. but still give me your thoughts. i apologize for still being unclear, i know that doesn't give you much room to work with but i don't really understand it myself, i just know its there.

to put it simple: what i am trying to acheive is a resonant sound...how should i go about this?

4. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Manny
    If I may I would like to add my 2 cents here.

Use more air is not always the right answer. It' s when you back off a bit that the resonance happens. If you are over blowing you will play flat and your sound will suffer. If your sound suffers and you percieve that it's because you are not using enough air then you will probably over compensate. Then the frustration will grow.
    My advice, try first to play with a beautiful resonant sound and gradually increase the volume. Try to use more mental energy than physical enegy and you will probably get closer to the results you are wanting. make sure the sound you want is clear in your mind and your body will probably respond naturally. Trumpet playing has to be wholistic (spelling error I am sure there). If the mind and concept are out of whack then it is nearly impossible to dictate a particular physical action to achive an artistic result.

That being said, it's also the way in which you approach the release of the air. Is your wind warm, like the kind of breath you may fog up a mirror with or is it cold and always fast? I think if you said the latter then there is part of the problem as well.
    If you watch any great player and think it looks effortless that is because they are not overblowing. Then they produce a great sound that is resonant and ringing. Anything else, no matter what the volume, just sucks.

HD