Response issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jtbtrumpet91, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I just finished up a six-week long intensive summer program where I had to opprotunity to play in a variety of ensembles and chamber groups, as well as have a solid 3-4 hours of daily individual practice. When I returned, I immediately had a week of marching band camp, which lasted all day and did not allow for much individual practice time at all. While my chops were well in shape after the summer program, the week of marching band seems to have put my response/attacks (especially in the upper register) at a disadvantage and in general all my playing is fuzzy and stiff-sounding. I have an audition coming up next week, so could anyone give me any advice or shared experience to help with this?

Thanks!!

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    We have all done this when we were in school and in marching band , play as loud as you can and abuse your lips, to get your response back hold back ,play as if you were playing in concert band inside the auditorium , besides the louder you blast the more your sound spreads , your sound will carry further if you play with a controlled centered tone.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes it is the beating from marching band. You most likely use more pressure to keep a reliable seal on the chops as well as stabilizing the position of the mouthpiece while marching. The only solution is not to march as much. Not always possible in band programs. I know of no way to maintain concert and marching band chops at an extemely high level at the same time. That does not mean that your concert chops are crap during marching season, some of the finesse will disappear.

4. Skiingfool

Skiingfool New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    You need to play softly and make sure you don't kill yourself for marching band. The audition is more important. you could even pretend like your playing for marching band.

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    This is just one in a few different reasons I loathed marching band.

Sounds like you had some phenomenol practicing with those chambers groups and ensembles. Be thankful for that. As for Marching Band, that's a sore spot with me. I went to school when that's ALL the band directors cared about. We had 3 months of marching band then only 2 weeks of symphonic band.

I was a terrible marcher. I know some kids think it's fun, but I think it's a waste of a musician's time and music preparation.

Best of luck.

6. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm a terrible marcher, too. And it bugs me when our band director says "good job" after we march beautifully but our playing sounds like crap. It's like they forgot the "band" part of "marching band."

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Speaking as someone who also taught marching band, I will say no one ever learned to play an instrument in a marching band. If you can and are serious about being a serious trumpet player walk away from marching band. I know in many band programs this is not possible, but if it is at your school run. If not, then don't try to be the star in marching band and remember and try to use the musicality that was taught you in the camp.

8. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm going through this right now, having response issues as well, and I had band camp a week ago. Rowuk is right, I even catch myself using more pressure in marching band to get the feet out of my sound, but I will get tired quicker and will pay for it during concert band. I want to do drum corps next summer, and that hopefully won't be as brutal as I think.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    We have a kid whose chops are being killed from marching band due to him pushing himself to much and too fast to excel. Its not working, he is using WAY too much pressure, and killing his playing slowly, all for what a useless double Eb? In marching band I normally push (as in air, not pressure) more for projection, and my endurance is normally gained, but I normally feel like response isn't how I like it too, and auditions for wind ensemble and jazz band are right after it, but normally with concert band practice at home, I keep my playing inline.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    S.Coomer.

Would have loved to hear you say that when I was a kid being force-fed a steady diet of marching band in highscool. Meanwhile, I wasn't learning how to play in an orchestra or band. We did not have a balanced band program. This was back in 1975-1979. Have things changed at all in how school programs structure their music programs?