response

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigpapajosh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    my response is terrible, ive been doing air attacks for over 3 weeks, thats what i was told to do by my teacher. are there any other excercises i should consider.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Please describe in detail what you mean by terrible response!

3. bigpapajosh

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    by response, i mean i put the horn on my face, i blow air to play, and the note doesnt come out, instead air comes out, then the note comes out afterwords. i know its because my lips arent vibrating with the air, but i dont know why.

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I'd advise a BERP device. They clip onto your mpc. reciever, and allow you to buzz while holding the horn and fingering, etc. I'd highly reccomend Jame's Thompson's "Buzzing Book". The exercises in this book are tremendous, and will really help you with tone, range, and endurance, as well as attacks and articulation.

Good Luck

5. bigpapajosh

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    thanks, sounds good

6. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    if your "reponse" as you call it has got worse or not improved since you started doing a lot of air attacks I would suggest canning them and working on starting every note with a clean strong tongue attack. Even if you over do it crassly to start with it will help you get the notes going. Good luck!

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try playing long tones very very softly with only enough mouthpiece pressure to make contact with your lips no pushing ,using a light tongue , think of blowing the note out the bell not blowing air into the mouthpiece or horn all at a ppp level.

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Al is right! Soft long tomes seems like the ticket to getting at this problem. Here is a clip of what I like to do.

YouTube - Long Tones - Sotto Voce

I hope this helps a bit.

Nick

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Well, there are several reasons this could be happening. If you have been doing breath attacks for three weeks, is it getting better? One of the first things I teach any student that starts with me is how to breathe ,blow and use the tongue to get a sound as soon as the air hits the lips. If you are improving enough said. If not there are other things you should be working on. let us know.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A breath "attack" is exactly the image that I do NOT want my students to have. The playing should be not much more than "exhaling" into the horn. If you are not beating yourself up, things should get better very quickly. A "forceful" approach negates any benefit from "exhalation".