Restarting some steady playing/practice @ 63

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Lindsey Lewis, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    United States
    Welcome to TM!

Re-started myself four or five weeks ago. Stay relaxed and enjoy the experience. Patience, persistence, listening closely to one's self, knowing when is enough are all features of a good comeback.

Jim

2. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Breathe -- have patience -- take breaks -- keep a log -- practice intelligently -- every practice session should have a goal -- aimless practice is useless -- if you are into the total amount of time you play, break a lot and keep track of your mini sessions -- have patience.

David Hall likes this.
  3. gwood66

gwood66 Piano User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    Have fun with your comeback.

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    I, as a youngster, was given similar advice by a professional trumpet player back in 1954, and like Stuart, it was many years later
    ( 62 to be exact ) before I got what he was trying to tell me.

Good luck on your comeback. It's been great for me.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Ahhh, but old age, treachery can be so augmented by agility... which is why I am so grateful to having started my daily Bowfex and elliptical workouts. While it can't buy back youth, it has made me feel more youthful.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lindsey, welcome to TM. I too had the pleasure of playing my Olds Recording in Colorado when I played lead trumpet in the Colorado State Statesman Jazz Band. Missed those good times as well. My greatest hurdle in those years playing in Colorado, was getting use to the altitude after moving there from Cincinnati, Ohio. But after a few months, my corpuscles were pus-ing once again. Enjoy!

7. Lindsey Lewis

Lindsey Lewis New Friend

Mar 30, 2018
    Colorado
    I wanted to thank everyone for the positive words of encouragement. I've got to say that playing any musical instrument is almost an obsession for me. Anyway, the Yamaha is a fun trumpet to play. And - just so everyone knows I'm not retired yet. I still work 8 or more hrs a day to keep the tax man happy. ;)

I've also been playing with my former HS band director - who is a trumpet player as well. He's in his 70s. Going strong. I hope I do that well in the next 10 or so years.

David Hall and BigDub like this.
  8. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I like your way of thinking

GeorgeB and KjetilS like this.