Restoration Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay so I could search the net for hours but there is a huge amount of wisdom on here so I hope no one minds me tapping into it

I'm engaged in a project restoring a horn, my first and I will make many mistakes and perhaps a repair tech could do it in half the time, but I need a project at the moment for a variety of reasons.

Right the slides are stuck, obviously that's my job one. So I made a slide puller similar the one GijsVis was talkins about the other day. that didn't work so following my repair tech's procedure from another horn he did for me I de soldered and presrved the U shaped bit of slide so I could work on each arm indiviually. Got one free the other one is proving more difficult. It may be that after a couple more tricks are tried that I have to use brute force and a bit of ignorance to get the tube out and then make a new "arm" for the slide.

So to the question (finally) Do I need anything other than the brass tubing I can get from any soft metal merchant locally (obviously getting a match for size and thickness) or is there some special Brass that I need (obviously solder etc.)

Oh and I paid next to nothing for the horn and got a Mouthpiece I liked the look of into the deal so I'm not loosing much even If I stuff it up totaly

Cheers Guys

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I bought a Conn 2B a couple months ago. Excellent shape except the tuning slide was fast. Someone had previously pulled on it hard enough to slightly put the tubing out of round. I read up. Suggestion in the reading:use a penetrating oil. Nothing. I read further. Someone said be patient, could take a week or two for it to work. After 10 days I took it into the shop and told the tech I needed to have the tuning slide freed and then put back in round. He said this one? And pulled the slide out. They ended up just doing their rounding thing. Moral: on stuck slides, wait 'em out. Just sayin'...

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Solder an old mouthpiece in to the end of the tube that is stuck. Put the rim of the mouthpiece in your vise and very VERY carefully twist the horn. Make TINY movements. you just want to hear a slight clicking sound as the corrosion starts to break. Also make triple sure that the other solder joints around the tubing aren't cracking as well. On the leadpipe you would be looking at the front and rear S braces, and whatever braces connect the leadpipe to the valve block. Also look to see if you are bending the tubing.
    This takes practice, but I have never had a slide be too stuck that I couldn't remove it that way. It just takes time and very small steps. If you twist too much you will buckle the tubing or bend something.

Cornyandy likes this.
  4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks Brekelefu really good advice never thought of that one

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If it is a cornet, you will need to be extra careful of the braces as the tubing is set off the valve casing more than a trumpet.

As a last resort you might have to unsolder the receiver tube as well, then apply a lot of heat to the 2 tubes stuck together and quench them in a bucket of cold water. This will send steam up the join and will normally free the tubing immediately.

Please heed the disclaimer below....

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    It didn't work very well either with me, I've done the solderig trick as mentioned above, and that did work. You might ask your local tech (or people out here) if he has some spare slides, that way you still have a 'real' slide.

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks guys, as I say its a project so I'm learning and enjoying mysefl doing it

Cheers

A

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I worked for 18 MONTHS on a slide (waiting it out w/Kroil, heat, weighted sock AND Kroil, slide puller and PB Blaster, etc.) because I didn't want to put any money into it. It's a King Cleveland Superior, nuff said. Finally took it t the shop and $30 later it was out. Horn plays terrible!! Wasted $30!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cornyandy likes this.