Restore a 1970's York Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by trumpet blower88, Jun 15, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hi everyone. So was walking around an antique store with my Great Aunt the other day and I noticed this old, beat up York trumpet, the girl working there agreed to $15 for it so I got it, whats the worst that can happen, I'm out 15 bucks. Anyways, it's in pretty bad shape, it looks like it's been droped out of a truck and then backed over or something. It's got a really old mouthpiece that is stuck in it, really stuck, like never comming out stuck, and the mouthpice receiver actualy came apart off of the lead pipe, the only thing holding it on is the brace comming off of the bell. The third valve slide is stuck and the main curve on the bell (the part that would be closest to your face while playing) is compleatly bent and smashed up. Even with all of this it is still playable, sucky, but playable. And amazeingly the valveds and valve caseings are in perfect condition and actualy work better than the valves on my marching horn. Do you guys think it would be worth it to fix it up? Its hard to tell if it was ever a good horn before, the serial number and whatnot is all warn off, the only thing i can see is an "8", I'm not even sure how old it is, I'm just guessing the '70's. So how much do you think it would cost to get it fixed up? And is it worth it? I probably wouldn't play it much except maybe in our litle garage band...

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Trumpet blower.... check out this thread, especially the link to the photo gallery. Then get in touch with Leigh McKinney at Eclipse! You will be impressed. He might be able to give you a "breadbox or schoolbus" estimate if you send him some photos but he will have view the horn "in person" for a true evaluation.

His work is THE best.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8998&highlight=boston#8998

You might get Paul (fatpauly) Artola to tell you what he paid for this project but that's not to say yours would cost within 15% of the same.

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    wow... that was amazeing...