Restore or Replace?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Idealhobbies, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Idealhobbies

Idealhobbies New Friend

Jan 16, 2011
    Milford, Delaware
    My 11 year olds Getzen is starting to look pretty rough. He has a nasty tarnish issue on the bell where, I am assuming, his spit ran down under the lacquer when it was sitting on it's stand. Looks like :evil:. He's got a lot of scratches in it that are turning to an almost rust like appearence. Didn't think brass rusted... Basically it's beginning to look like crap. It plays so well that and he loves it (it's his first trumpet... you understand) and I can't say enough about how great the valves are. Smooth and fast...especially with Ultra Pure oil.

I'm not sure what I should do with it in his "off season" aka..schools out. It looks terrible. It's a Getzen 300 db... and cheap to replace...Not sure how bad restoration is pricewise, but there are no local shops that would do it... I asked.

Input please...

2. Young guy

Young guy New Friend

Dec 8, 2012
    Knoxville TN
    I think you should look towards a Yamaha Xeno or custom model, a new horn is fun and exciting and could help spark even even greater passion in your son.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could strip the lacquer so the tarnish isn't in just one place. The whole horn would then tarnish "evenly" to a nice patina. A new 300 is over $1000. A professional re-lacquer job is in the $300-$450 range and it looks factory new. If the mechanics are fine and he loves the horn, that's a real option. I'm not sure an 11 year old is ready for a pro horn of any make. I didn't get mine until I was almost 13. I would give Micheal Del Quadro a call. He will silverplate a horn for $300! Lacquer might be cheaper. Del Quadro Custom Trumpets

4. Idealhobbies

Idealhobbies New Friend

Jan 16, 2011
    Milford, Delaware
    Thank you for the link Tobylou8...I'll give him a call. Tim's got the passion...last year he taught himself The Star Spangled Banner because he wanted to play it for the spring concert. He learned watching you tube videos... no instruction. He got his solo. I am quite proud of him for it. His middle school instructor was so impressed he's to do it again this spring to kick off the concert.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never replace a Getzen. Get it redone. I agree with Tobylou, even though I now have the higer post count and therefore know a heck of a lot more than he. He still gives out good advice... now and then.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Replace a Getzen WITH a Getzen. After all, a 300 is basically an entry level horn. For 300-ish you can probably find a 700 or better on eBay if you are patient. After all, you were planning this move for the summer anyway.... That's a significant amount of time. I would not refinish a 300. I would refinish a 700, 900, or Severinsen, though, because the end result would justify the expense.
    Yes, I know my post count is lower than Gmonady. I am, however, ALMOST as modest in my appreciation for my powers of discernment as he is for his.

You have my opinion. No charge

7. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Don't pay much attention to the post counts. It just means they've had more opportunities to tell bad jokes.

How does your son feel about it? You're in for about the same amount of cash no matter which way you go. I'd just be concerned that if he let the horn just sit there all summer, then you're going to have the same problems with any horn. The proper answer to what to do with the horn when school's not in session is play it anyways. Even five minutes a day will keep the horn in shape (from daily handling/polishing) and his chops working (from the playing).

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Getzen 300's are fine horns. Upgrading in HS or JHS is just a waste of money.

If you have the money to waste, then fine. But don't get tricked into believing the
    "need a better horn to play at a higher level" - that's BS.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And definately more intellect... Ed wins hands down on intellect!

10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    You can just strip the laquer of, if you like the raw brass look, or else you can, like toby said, have it relaquered. I personally really love the look of raw brass horns, and Getzens are just stunning. You might let a tech have a look at it and let him do some maintainance.