Restore or Replace?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Idealhobbies, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For myriad reasons I mostly now play "student" quality instruments ... and enjoy the heck out of them. Too, as I demonstrate to beginning students I tutor, I feel it would be unfair to utilize a professional instrument to do this.

Getzens are renown for their valve quality, and yet mis-alignment occurs to them as well with extended usage. From time to time I play a Getzen Capri when I've not loaned it out to a high school band student while theirs is being serviced. Too, it was a Getzen I rented while minoring in instrumental music in college.

I may not be a pro, but I play an instrument also favored by Gmonady ... an Olds Ambassador (no longer manufactured). While mine may not look like Gmonady's, since he's had his luxuristly restored, I won't say mine plays less well.

Yes, I've played and recorded the DOD version of The Star Spangled Banner, our National anthem, and also Sousa's The Stars and Stripes, Forever!, our National march, and played all parts of these on different brass instruments, and dubbed them together (the parts, each song separately).

My recommendation is go for having the 300 lacquer stripped, but specify that new lacquer be epoxy. Too, while you can, have the valves aligned. As others have said, it may be a waste to acquire an ugraded quality instrument, that if purchased pre-owned by another would also have much the same problems you now recognize. The only concept that justifies getting a professional quality instrument is your child's pursuit of a music major in college and professional performance following, the latter if only part time. The 4 12 year olds I'm tutoring now, recently performed a 4 part rendition of O Little Town of Bethlehem at the Christmas caroling here.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OOPS!! How did I let that happen (post count)??? I guess I'll have to "do" something about that. I have been away for the holidays and spending time with the family. If winter ever gets here, watch out, I can whip out 100+ a day (aren't you glad??) ROFL

There are a lot of threads on here about cleaning up horns and stripping lacquer. Whatever you do, don't get rid of your kid's 1st horn. You will regret it.

3. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    I bought a Bundy by Selmer at a pawn shop for 50 bucks. (I know, I know student horn). The tag on the case said $119. Which I thought was a fair price. When I got to the counter the manager looked at it with its tattered lacquer finish and said "Ill let you have that ratty thing for 50 bucks cash". It has no dents. I brought it home, stripped the lacquer and it turned it into a new horn. Everyone comments on how nice it looks. I tell them I bought it for 50 dollars. Guess my point is that the cheapest way to make your getzen look "new" is to strip it and polish it. Thats my opinion.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would have the lacquer removed by a tech (it can be a DIY project, but does involve some pretty nasty chemicals). While he's at it, the tech can give it a good chemical cleaning fix small dings.

As far as keeping it shiny, Brasso works just fine for me.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1

I got rid of my first horn, and it's been 40 years that I regret.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or even worse... Your kid my become a violin player and you will regret that even more.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ON the other side of the situation: I just revived my first horn and feel all warm, fuzzy and tingly inside. AND I play it NOW nearly EVERY day. A rebirth that was truly deserving of the horn that started it all for me.

8. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Have you asked the local shop if it can be buffed out? I wouldn't replace the trumpet. He is still going through the school of hard knocks. (If not him, someone else is) When he gets in high school he will need a marching horn. He has the perfect candidate with a Getzen 300. You can buy him a pro level horn then for concerts.
    Good luck,
    Bobby

9. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Or encourage him to buy his own...

10. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    Hey my kid is a violin player. Is that a bad thing. Oh my god, my son is a violin player. It just occured to me how awful that really is. Do you think it is to late for me to take him to a safe surrender site Doctor? He is 13.