Restoring my 76' Strad

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ScreaminRaider, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hey ya'll, I am beginning the process of restoring my Strad, and I was wondering what everybody's opinion on what I am planning on doing.

Here we go:

First on the list is my lead pipe. It has a touch of red rot, so I am planning on getting a new one from Blackburn. I was thinking about going ahead and getting a reverse lead pipe and a new tuning slide to match....opinions?

Next I have to get the valve-casing rebuilt. This is where I am drawing a blank. I have no Idea who use on this little job.....opinions/suggestions?

and finally, I want to get Leigh over at Eclipse to do the replating. I have seen the work that he has done, and I can't think of anyone better. I just need to e-mail him and get prices from him.

So, there it is. I have never done any of this stuff before, so suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    If you're set on getting Leigh to do the work, I would get the Blackburn pipes shipped to you, so you can try it first, and then ship all of it to Leigh to get the pipe installed and to get the other work done all by the same person.

Right now, I'm getting a new leadpipe put on and some other stuff done to my '99 Strad by Charlie Melk. My horn really needs replating, but I just can't shell out the money right now for that.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Jon, I think that Leigh might be able to do valves as well. His business partner, Jon, is apparently "the valve guy". Might as well get it done all at one place, right? :D I'm sure Leigh could also manage a leadpipe... seein' as how he makes horns!

I know... why not get him to do the whole job? If you saw the work he did on FatPauly's Boston 3 star, you won't have ANY questions about his capabilities. (come to think of it, if you do a search you might still find the 'photojournal' of that project).

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
  5. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Not a bad Idea. Getting one company to do all the work would be a good Idea.

6. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Another guy you might check out is Dr. Valve in La Grange, Illinois.

http://www.doctorvalve.com/index.html

He takes care of Roger Ingram's horns, and does some restoring too. He has some pictures of some of his projects on his web site. I've been talking to him about getting my valves aligned, he seem svery helpful. Hope this helps!

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Here is the website for Paul Artola's 3star... be sure to see how damaged it was before Leigh worked his magic!

http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~artola/boston/

And this link shows the "project" that was completed on my Getzen Eterna

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1657&start=0

The Getzen was actually in pretty good shape for a 30 year old horn... didn't need any real valve work at all (that darn Getzen valve block again!) But as noted he did convert the previously "fixed" 1st slide to an adjustable and did some real cleanup work on the plastic 3rd slide stopper.

Oh yeah... if you're going to that extent (including plating) might as well send "the" mouthpiece and get it done to match... right?

Any questions?

8. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Well, I guess I am going to do all of this at the same time, which means I have to wait till September. My origional plan was to do it piece by piece. I wish I didn't have to wait that long-(Unless Leigh wants to add this little project into the contest that I am about to win :evil:) . I'll e-mail Leigh tomorrow and get prices from him. Thanks for all the help everybody.