Retinal Detachment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kelley, May 12, 2012.

1. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Anyone have any information about resuming playing after retinal detachment surgery?

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I have several students that had theirs detach, are at risk of it, or have had them detach and had them reattached. What has your doctor told you? At most, I've had a few take a month or so off for healing before getting right back to it. They play a variety of wind instruments, including clarinet, trombone, alto sax, and trumpet.

3. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Doc didn't really have much info, but said maybe two weeks. I was thinking more in terms of two months.

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Just play it safe and start easy when you think you're ready then. Its a scary thing to have happen, but not something to keep you from playing. Take a month or so and when you feel ready go for it.

**I am not a doctor, but have students with similar issues. My comments are based on my experiences working with them.**

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is an abstract I found on PubMed:

Cesk Oftalmol. 1993 Jun;49(3):127-30.
    [Is restriction of physical activity indicated in the prevention of retinal detachment?].
    [Article in Czech]
    Karel I.

Abstract

The author evaluates the importance of different vitreoretinal factors and the role of indirect injury in the pathogenesis of detachment of the retina/DR/and holds the following view as regards subjects inclined to pursue physical activity. Numerous and frequent vitreoretinal risk factors are a forecast of DR only in a small fraction of patients. Indirect injury is not recognized as a cause of DR. Risk factors incl. medium-grade and high-grade myopia are not an indication for restriction of physical activity nor for Caesarean section in pregnant women. Restriction of physical activity acts as a psychic trauma and does not prevent the development of DR.

I typically give my review at this point as to what this means in a practical sense, but due to a language that I am not familar with, I couldn't Czech it out. Sorry [for the pun as well]

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    You might have a little trouble sight reading...harddy harr harrr. But actually no you won't have many issues. My granny had a tennis ball hit her on the court...It didn't take her two months to recover. You'll be fine in a few weeks.

7. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    All quite helpful. I appreciate your kind responses.

8. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Kelley... For the record, I am not a physician and I cannot give you a medical opinion. That said, I suspect that one of the reasons for delaying your return to practice is that playing wind instruments (particularly trumpet) increases intraocular pressure (IOP) several points. I vaguely remember from studies done in Scotland that IOP increases 3-6 points when playing the trumpet and is highest when playing in the upper registers. (Normal IOP range at rest is about 8-21points; your post-surgical IOP might be higher during recovery). I would err on the conservative side even after your surgeon releases you to play again -- don't be in a hurry to regain your upper range until you know you can safely do so. I suspect that compromising your vision would be worse than giving up playing your trumpet.... (I recently had a far less complex retinal surgery and was released to play again after about 4 weeks -- so far without any complications.) Good Luck. JA

9. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Thank you for your input. Very helpful.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Very good advice has been given, including the above reply. I'd like to generalize johnande's reply and say that it's not just playing a wind instrument. Any exercise has the potential to temporarily increase IOP.

Mike