Returned Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by thetrumpetmaster, Nov 5, 2005.

1. thetrumpetmaster

thetrumpetmaster New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    Hey, I posted this on TH, but I thought I'd post it here to get some other opinions...

Well, I got some info on the Bach Strad Sterling Plus trumpet that I had returned to Selmer for laquer repair, which I posted anout a few weeks ago...and I'd like to know what you guys think...
    Well, it turns out they have trashed the idea of repairing it, and are going to send me a brand new one...in January...
    Best part is, they didn't even think to contact me and ask me if I just wanted mine back or tell me that they are going to send a new one.
    I really am quite upset about this...because what if they send a new one and I don't like it? I am going to send it back and 4 months later I get another??
    So here is my idea -
    I call them and let them know that I want to be sent a few trumpets to try and they will recieve all but one back, or else I want a check for $2100, and I will by myself a nice Xeno. I mean, I have to keep in mind that I want to be dealing with a company that takes care of their players. So far, Selmer has not made a good impression.
    So, what are your takes and what do you recommend I do?
    Thanks!

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, Sterling Plus will make it ... not "custom" but certainly not "one of the 10,000 that are presently in the production line"... so you can expect to have to wait for it.

Wonder what the problem was with the lacquer that they couldn't fix easily? Probably would have required extra buffing that would have altered the horn. That's always the problem with customs or at least rarer models from the "BIG", mainline makers (unlike a true custom maker who can slide it into his regular schedule without interrupting the shipping date of that huge order for the XYZ retailer).

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    They probably figured it wasnt cost effective to repair the horn and figured it would be cheaper to replace it.

You spent $2100 and thats the way they treat you? Id phone them and tell them I want my money back period...and go for the Xeno. If somebody slaps you in the face like that, dont give them a second opportunity to do it again. That reflects very poorly on their customer service abillities. If you do decide to wait, I'd at least expect a huge rebate cheque off the $2100. A 4 month wait is outragous for a customized production horn. I mean, this isn't a $10,000 Monette thats being made from scratch!

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played last night with a guy with a sterling bell Bach. He is having trouble also. He said he is going to just keep it because he likes the way it plays.

I am surprised that Bach would put out such a sloppy product. I don't understand why they lacquer the bell.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I once owned a Bb, New York Bach trumpet. I only bought it because I got a good price on it and had never a Mt. Vernon anything so I figured this would be about as close as I'd get. I noticed the slide had to be about, oh.. an INCH AND A QUARTER to play well in tune. When I playtested originally it was with benefit of a piano to play along with and didn't realize it played THAT sharp.

I eventually sold it and the guy who bought it did some reseqrch and found out it had a C trumpet lead pipe on it.

It was original. Nobody had put it on except at the factory.

I have an old D trumpet from them where the laquer used to fall off in flakes.

So, yeah, I can believe it.

ML

6. thetrumpetmaster

thetrumpetmaster New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    Mr. Laureno, what do you recommend me doing about all this though? I have talked to several people about this, and many of them say, pending the companies response to my request for several horns or a check, that there is room for legal action if I wish.
    I'm not sure I really want to take it that far, because I don't think I'd really get anything out of it, other than my horn, and a bad relation with the company I am playing for...and that process would probably take FOREVER.
    So what do you recommend I do? I want to stay professional, but this is my career (or it will be one day), they can't be messing around.

Thanks,
    Julian Kaplan
    University of Kentucky

p.s. - I do have Mark Clodfelter's help with this as well, so he is trying anything he can too

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Julian,

I had trouble with a Yamaha once and they treated me like garbage until they found out I was a band director and my students do mega business with Yamaha every year -- all of a sudden the instrument was fixed and a letter of apology came from a big guy with the company.

I suggest you get your local music store where you bought this horn involved. They hold purse strings to the company -- you don't if you are a student. They have the clought to take care of this pretty fast if they want to do so.

If you are a music major I hope you are taking notes. NONE OF MY STUDENTS BUY NEW SELMER PRODUCTS because of the problems like you are experiencing.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Julien,

Can I assume you have your horn back and they're planning to send you the replacement in January and you'll do the swap then? Also, Is the problem, for all intents and purposes, a cosmetic one or is there more?

If you have your horn and it's a cosmetic problem and you have have concerns for some reason about offending the Bach company, well, it's clear. Play the horn and get a new one when they're good and ready to send it to you. I assume it plays as well as it did when you first got which is why you bought it.

They're NOT going to send you a bunch of horns to try out, forget that. This is the unfortunate problem of ordering horns and not being able to deal face-to-face. Next time you want to make a major purchase, I recommend the road trip neccesary. It's not that far to Elkhart from where you are or Louisville. There has to be a dealer there, right?

What harm is there in waiting (other than the nuisance) if the horn plays as it has?

ML

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Just hypothesizing. The reason they might lacquer the sterling silver bell is the softness of the material. Maybe the extra thickness makes the bell more durable (Generally, one mistake with a sterling bell and its all over). Of course, the lacquering is different on such a soft metal. Maybe thats where the problem was.

Ask yourself: are the wait and problems involved with dealing directly with Selmer worth the product you will get in the end? Bach makes a *great* bell, and anyone who contests that needs a head check. Sterling silver is a great bell material, allows all kinds of overtones.

However, the wait is a pain, and if you dont like what you get, you may have to wait another 4 months. Selmer is not the king of consistency, and many people have had to play 40+ Strads to truly get the one they like.

Its up to you, but I personally would try and look into maybe a smaller production line. I guarantee you could find a Lawler, Kanstul, Schilke, or Euro horn that fits you great in well under four months.

My $.02.

Van

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Sterling bell horns

My father gave me his sterling belled King Silvertone trumpet, made in 1932. It never had any lacquer on any portion of the instrument. I do remember using whiting and alcohol to keep it clean and bright on a frequent basis, like perhaps, once every two or three months. It was such a fine horn that I didn't consider that to be an onerous chore. BTW, it was a silverplated horn with a solid sterling silver leadpipe and bell. I hope that whoever stole it from me choked to death on one of the mouthpieces that went with the horn and the Selmer zipper closure case.

OLDLOU>>