Reverse leadpipe Vs non reversed leadpipe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Mar 18, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I wanna try one of these Martin Committees just to see what all the fuss is about!!! There is no way i could ever afford one tho. Id just like to see what all the hype is about, are they like gold? So valuable mainly because everybody wants some... but if everybody wanted paper instead, it would soon eclipse gold in value! In fact i actually have a Martin trumpet, but not a committee a troubador was my first horn its old and in poor condition, here a pic of a good one. Martin Troubadour

Interesting quote: "It is generally believed that the quality of Martin products eroded after 1956 -- in an interview Chet Baker spoke about switching to a Connstellation at that time because a trip to the Martin factory did not yield a good horn."
    Martin Committee

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    One of my horns is a Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS which has both a reversed leadpipe and tuning slide. It sounds different than my other horns, but so does each of the other horns I play. It does accumulate a lot more water than my other horns, but I don't know whether it's the reveresed system or not. I added heavy top and bottom valve caps recently and that has had profound effect on the way the horn sounds and plays. It took some getting used to, but now I like it.:D

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is the same thing. ;-)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Because the bell brace is much further back, players hear themselves better, but less energy gets to the audience. The sound is also harder to control where the sizzle starts. I much prefer a horn with more control.

Players qualities have NOTHING to do with the horn. If their ears work, their playing CAN fit. If not, it's hopeless anyway.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yes and no on that one. The value of them shoots up because people want them but they wanted them for the sound. Gmonady can relate his experience with his Olds Recording and Committee for that to make more sense. But what drove people to certain horns; the Recording, the B1, the Super, the Strad was initially about sound, also maybe famous owners, then when word got out more people wanted them so it drove the price up. This effect really only affects vintage horns but you get my drift

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If you want to get really confused get a horn with reverse wrap and tune slide.........

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That sounds awfully familiar there Mendez :roll:

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Blame me for that I asked the question earlier

9. flugler

flugler New Friend

Aug 2, 2007
    Northern California
    I've been playing a Bach 72 lightweight for 15 years, and recently bought a 72 lightweight with a 43 reverse lead pipe (it was such a sweet deal, I couldn't pass it up!). The horns are night and day different. The reverse lead pipe horn is much freer blowing and has a much fuller sound. But I've given up a couple of notes up top. So I use it for lower parts or casuals. But the sound is way bigger. I play 2nd chair in big band, and the lead guy complained that I was overblowing him on 2nd with the new horn. I like both horns, and will probably keep them both, and switch off depending on the environment.

If you're thinking about buying a horn with a reverse lead pipe, you need to try it out in context. It's not for everybody.

10. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I have actually both reversed and not reversed horns.I can´t say I ever noticed any differences.
    Maybe because the horns sounded like I wanted them to,so I didn´t bother