Reverse leadpipe.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hiveharbinger, Oct 26, 2008.

1. hiveharbinger

hiveharbinger New Friend

Oct 19, 2008
    Canada
    What are the benefits and tonal qualities you get from a horn with a reverse leadpipe?

I've seen a lot of "signature" lead player's horns with them, but I'm not sure weither to look for one in a new horn.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    A reversed leadpipe gives the horn a more open fell without actually being a larger bore.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    For me a reverse lead pipe makes a horn more free blowing, but can change the tone quality a little. For instance I tried a B&S Challenger II with and without reverse lead pipe and I liked the tone on the normal lead pipe better, the shop owner mentioned another customer had found the same thing. It may depend on the horn.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The reversed leadpipe has several myths surrounding it. The "freer" blow can be achieved with conventional leadpipes IF you move the bell brace back to about the same place. What happens is that more sound radiates off the outside of the bell (and not towards the audience). That lets you hear yourself better and fools the brain into thinking everything is easier.
    if you try the horns out in a great sounding large acoustic space, the differences become immediately obvious. In a small music store the bell brace further back makes you think the horn responds better. That could be a very desirable option if you play outdoors with a marching band, and maybe not if you have a bright sound and play with an orchestra.

When evaluating instruments, make sure you are trying them in acoustic spaces that you normally play in.