Reversed Leadpipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Mar 27, 2008.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is VERY important. Much sound, but almost no air, emanates from the trumpet's bell. Standing waves set up within the horn produce nodes is varying locations depending on pitch, and if a node is obstructed by construction - tubing ID changes bigger to smaller (standard leadpipe) or vice versa (reverse), solder blobs, water keys, etc, then the playability of the pitch which creates that node is affected.
    That said, the amount of that effect is usually quite small.

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I hate to seem stupid but the dumbest questions are the ones that aren't asked. What exactly is a reversed lead pipe and why would anyone want one?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The idea is that anything that disturbs the air column has more effect near the mouthpiece than near the bell. A small dent in the leadpipe can make a huge difference, whereas the big 'ol dent in the bell can make almost no changes. With the reversed leadpipe the gap produced by an extended tuning slide is farther from the mouthpiece than the conventional leadpipe.

Conventional wisdom is that a shorter leadpipe produces a more compact and slotted sound than a longer one.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A conventional leadpipe horn has a tuning slide with two slightly smaller diameter tubes which slide in and out of the rest of the horn. When you apply grease it goes on tubes attached to the tuning slide, and when removed the U-shaped tuning slide has two roughly equal length greasy tubes that fit INTO the horn.
    On a reverse leadpipe the upper greasy tube is fixed to the end of the leadpipe, and it slides in and out of the tuning slide. The tuning slide when removed, has no greasy tube on top and one on the bottom. It resembles a J instead of a U.
    I don't know why it is called reverse - makes it sound like the whole leadpipe is flipped over.
    The answer to your last question is still being debated.

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, I think I know now whether I'm going to get one or not. Many of you have said it hurts projection, and I'll be marching first chair next year, so I need all the projection I can get. Thanks for all the help!