Review of Barry Danielian's "How To Play High Notes" video.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Aug 21, 2012.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Likewise Stuart. Keeping where one is at our age is probably as good as it gets. Having said that, and being 6+ yrs on my second recovery I still find that these types of simple exercises are helping me. I will add the one from the video--which has a lot of good common sense stuff in it. I especially like the weight lifting analogy. You do a little each day. I have recently acquired a book by Laurie Frink and John McNeil entitled Flexus. It also has some very useful flexibility and strengthening exercises in it that I have added to my daily routine. I still think I can get the stuff back above high C and am gaining a bit of evidence that it is coming back. Message from this old dude: staying level is great; getting above level is greater. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    "With Caruso you could be like an athlete who runs on his heels. Not his toes. All the Caruso system will do for this guy is make him a better runner on his heels. Never fixing the obvious limitation"

Why do you find it necessary to criticize a teacher/system you know nothing about. If this is all Caruso was, then he certainly would not have attained the reputation he had. Please, stick to what you know, not what you might have heard about

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I hate videos like this (being sarcastic of course). Everything he says sounds completely logical and reasonable. And he obviously has the chops to prove his points. BUT...he's saying the exact opposite of many veteran posters I've read here at TM who say "no, it's NOT like lifting weights, it's completely different". And there was some thread here where the poster was saying playing upper register takes no more effort than any other register when you use proper technique. And even young kids can be playing up there in their first days of playing trumpet with proper technique. What to believe??

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Jerry correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you're from MA. So am I. Back in the 1970's or so Caruso was really popular around the music campuses. I believe our friend Charly R gained a lot from him and went on to being an instructor.

So that's one success. But to be clear Charly ALWAYS had fantastic chops. Caruso seems to have merely helped him fine tune his system.

Of far more significance were the half dozen Caruso failures I knew personally. Out of these six or so cats I knew who studied w/Caruso himself in NYC not even one of them developed a usable "bandstand ready" High F during the TWO YEARS each studied with Caruso.

This is an horrendous failure rate. In fact every intermediate to advanced trumpet player, when exposed to the physics of how to get their most natural embouchure going (no chop makeovers at all!) ought to learn to blow a decent High F within a few weeks. I see this happen with every single trumpet player I meet who takes the time to put together the SIMPLE physics I freely give to him. And if they choose not to use it? Or don't apply it? OK fine with me but it didn't cost him anything to begin with.

It doesn't just end there with Caruso: He charged for his lessons which couldn't help the great majority of all trumpet players attain respectable band stand performance ready range.

Lest you think I'm going too hard on Caruso: Most all systems have the same problem. This isn't to say that one can't gain plenty from Caruso or the others. But the maximum benefit these trumpet players get is mostly accomplished IF they already had effective physical endowments or embouchure settings/movement to begin with.

For those that don't, ie the great majority? OK they'll get a better sounding High C as well as other elements of musicality. But they will be stunted range-wise.

This is an analysis born out by much tragic experience "I never had the chops". How many times have we heard this? See?

Nothing new. We all know this. Trumpet players fail at range and endurance. The cure is always physical. Efforts that beat around the bush occasionally help some cats. But usually they don't.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I am not getting into an argument with you, I haven't the inclination. If you were in MA in the 70s then you must have known about Leon Merian who you also trashed a few months ago based on something you heard. Its doubtful that you really knew much about Caruso or his students either. I'm done

6. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I understand perseverance and diligence, etc. I understand good regime and getting attention from good teachers, etc.
    Would you be able to describe the secrets or are they more of a hands on kinda thing? Or maybe a private message kinda thing?
    I'd love to get any help. I direct and lead a big band so this is right up my alley. I have a high note soloing guy and I've got a great jazz solo guy and I've got a guy who doesn't really swing. So if I could peg the high register to lead the band each player would truly have a place.
    Cheers.

bumblebee likes this.