Review of the Reeves Valve Alignment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 21, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought I would comment on something else related to what Daff has posted.

You remain skeptical, and that is fine. I'm almost always skeptical of things until I have seen or experienced the "proof" myself. The subject of precision aligning valves was one of those things I was skeptical about and the discussion that had been going on here, along with my own curiousity was enough to cause me to undertake the burden of expense to take the plunge and to send my horn out for the service so that I could judge for myself.

This thing cost me $250 by the time it was all said and done once shipping charges were included. Now, with the trumpet back in my hands and experiencing the results for myself, I'm not sorry I spent the money.

Believe it or not, but don't knock it till you try it. I am confident that if you sent one of your horns out to Reeves and had them do an alignment, you would be happy with the results.

2. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Please allow me to temporarily refrain from answering this until considering the impact further. I can assure you, however, that at least two of these shops are of the most noted in the biz. They merely have different and valid perspectives.
    This is exactly my point Patrick. No doubt, Reeve's is a fine shop with a successful process.

I do not argue the benefits of altering alignment. I merely argue that it is more complex than merely the precision alignment of pipes and ports.

Please guys, tinker with my 'experiment'.

3. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Didn't intend to give that impression. I am not one iota skeptical. I know as fact that altering the up/down limits to 'sweet spot' the playability is an absolute. I merely argue that extreme precision and exact alignment may not be optimal, may even be splitting hairs, and is a very expensive process for many.
    Tell me, how much would you have been willing to pay for a kit that would allow you align your own horn resulting in, say, a minimum of 90% of the percievable enhancement that you experienced with Reeve's?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok, my apologies Daff - at least you and I are of the same agreement that there is more to it than simply lining up the ports.

What would I pay for a kit that allowed me to do it myself? The thing is, I'm not sure that I would trust myself to do it - I would rather pay to have it done by someone that has an idea of what they are doing.

It's an interesting question though.

5. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    After watching this thread I feel reluctantly drawn to post!!!.......a curious feature of any PVA chat is that things become heated real quick for reasons that are rarely clear and, in truth, while reading here I can feel myself becoming irritated by some of the supposition present.

Firstly, its entirely your business how you spend your own money!....I would defend that as an inate freedom. Also, I can well understand that having a brand new Schilke you now want to get the absolute best out of it and the extra cost of the 'PVA' is but little in the sum of what you must have invested so far.

However, why did you not return the Schilke to the factory for repair under warranty if there was aproblem with the valve alignment,...which clearly there must have been for you to part with it for two weeks at a cost of $250. Do Schilke products regualrly leave the factory in 'unmerchantable condition'?....I always viewed Schilkes as a quality product being virtually handmade,.....If this is true then they get excellent evaluation before leaving the factory so what went wrong with this one?

What gets to me about this is that brass players have been adjusting their valves for generations,....I was shown how to check this at a very young age and the importance of the valves lining up with the tubes was made clear. However, what was carried out as a common process in bandrooms across the UK is now the subject of 'mumbo-jumbo' involving 'secret processes'.....the whole PVA thing is yet again robbing quite bright people of their intellect!

Incidentally, if you want to know what the Reeves process involves and if it is indeed the subject of a patent application, then simply look up the patent specification!......thats actually what the patent process is for,..the dissemination of intellect....protection is secondary.

6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    He has a copy of the patent on his wall in his shop, for anyone interested.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Cornet1, I didn't buy a brand new Schilke - I bought a used Schilke that happened to be in phenomenal shape and that I got a very good deal on. Even sending it out and spending what I spent, it still doesn't come up to the cost of a brand new one.

Different people place different levels of importance on the valve alignments. Renold Schilke didn't seem to think that it was that big of a deal, hence the reason that they come out of the Schilke shop the way they do.

This trumpet was great before I sent it off - I just believe that the money spent did actually improve it, (which is saying something) and since there is no longer any felt to expand or be squashed into varying degrees of thickness, it will stay just the way it is now for the next 10 years or so, and even then, all I have to do is buy new spacers from Reeves - once it has been aligned, it is aligned pretty much for good according to them.

Anyway, I wanted to mention again that I have a gig tonight, and we'll see how it plays in a real situation outside of the practice room.

8. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Whoa! What's the talk about being 'heated' and 'getting out of hand' guys? I don't sense that at all.

In case it matters, since I'm a newbee here, I'm not participating for the 'armwrestling', just here for the exchange of ideas and info.

Have a good one guys.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have to post now.
    Patrick and I have had some emails since (and I think before) he bought his Schilke B6. I told my opinions of the B6. I think it is a trumpet that quality wise is big, big step up from what most people are playing. He in fact was not crazy about it when he first received and wondered if he made a mistake. I told him to give it a little while as he was SO used to his other horn. He did and it has become to him as it was to me, a "Why didn't I get of these years ago horn".

That being said, Patrick asked me about a PVA. I said I had one done on my B6 at the Brass Bow by Wayne Tenabe. My Schilke was practically new, the horn was only tiniest amount out, (much closer than Patrick's) and I really did not notice a difference. However, I did mention a friend's older K-Modified that was sent to Wayne for a PVA and it did make a difference.

I would be very reluctant to discount what a person says or feels about their horns aftre having this done. My new B6 did not change, my friend's K-Modified did. Patrick, and others seem VERY satisfied with their results. In Patrick's case, although having never met him, I have read enough of his postings to have a good idea of his knowlege about trumpets I believe he has noticed a positve change in his horn.

Not to change the subject, but along parallel lines.
    I installed stainless steel valve guides from Wayne Tenabe in my B6 and THOSE made a BIG difference to me.

Of course they also caused the same type of discussion.

-cw-

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Last post continued

Cornet1 wrote:
    trickg wrote: to someone else,
    I would like to point out also that Patrick had a very good trumpet prior to sending it for a valve alignment. He was well satisfied with his B6.

He was also intrigued with all of the discussion concering PVA's.

He took it upon himself to take a flyer, money wise and see what all the conversation was about.

As a moderator on this site, (trickg, not I) I for one trust him to give an honest opinion as to the results of this experiment. I do believe that he has given an honest review on what this procedure accomplished for his horn. From his review I can see that he thinks it was money well spent.

Let us not forget the Patrick used the TrumpetMaster for for it's ultimate purpose.

To post and discuss topics that are important or of interest to trumpet players, whether professional, beginner or "come-back" players.

I for one am pleased that he did this.
    I am also confident that Patrick gave an honest review of this service.
    I would have expected him to say the opposite had this been the case for him.

Thank you trickg.

-cw-