Review

Discussion in 'Horns' started by old geezer, Jul 31, 2005.

1. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    The trumpet was hand delivered by 11th chair yesterday,he was really pretty nice[as I imagine all tm'ers are]. horn is beautiful, could see the marks where the slides had come out and bounced around in the case when shipped to 11th chair but no dents. valves are quick and stroke is short. am going to play it in church today and will post my thoughts tomorrow on how this little beauty plays. old geezer Dave

2. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    played it in church yesterday and it sounded great. this horn can play at a whisper and still sound beautiful. I am not near the player that Nick D. is
    [I am not worthy of oiling his valves],but at low volume even I sounded good. it may just be me but the horn seemed to wear me out faster. going to play it at several reh. and an outdoor concert this weekend and give this horn a workout. will report back with more later. old geezer Dave

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    For what it's worth, Dave, I've found that with the better instruments you have to be more efficient with your breathing. Lots more in and relaxed and constant on the way out. I only mention that because you mentioned the new horn being a bit more taxing. So, maybe, this weekend, if you think of taking in a lot more than you might be accustomed to, you'll have an easier time of it. Just a thought.

ML

4. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Thanks Manny - I'll give it a try. I [as most other players I know] want the best equipment that I can afford - meaning costing the most that my wife will allow me to spend - but could do very nicely on decent mass produced horns. I am not good enough to get the most out of a good horn but it seems that the better horns make my mediocre playing easier. how's that for justifying top of the line equipment. haha old geezer Dave

5. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    took the horn in at work yesterday since I was going to friends house that evening so we could critique it against his stable of Lawlers. I work at a GM plant in the training dept. so my fellow workers know quality when they see it. They were amazesd [as I] at the fit and finish of this beautiful horn. my friend has a Model T [his favorite] TL5 [my favorite] and a TL6. I also took along my K. Allmen. he said I sounded the best on the Allmen and the TL5. the phaeton and the Lawlers intonation were very good, had to work a little bit on the Allmen. we both thought the phaeton was a little stuffy in the lower register but opened up nicely where we play 95% of the time. the horn sounded beautiful in my church because I play at mp or mf and never louder. if someone came up and said "Dave- you can only have one of the above horns" my choice would have to be the TL5 and second choice would be my K.Allmen. maybe as the week goes on and I become more aclimated to this horn it will fit me better. one thing that I know is that we all like different horns and mouthpieces. my wife is a really good player and we can never agree on equipment. will report more as the week goes on. Roy if your reading this please keep doing what you are and don't get a big head.[that was a joke] old geezer Dave

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I personally LOOOVE the phaeton leadpipe. With that oval tune slide, it was even more amazing to me.

However, I haven't tried any Lawlers (Yet), so I can't say much.

Van

7. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    took it to reh. last night and the horn is growing on me. two guys tried it, did not even play a full scale and said they didn't like it. another person played it and his comment was it took more air but played easier than his horn. I decided to only play the phaeton and left my horn at home, I think in my case that is the way to go. I took Manny's advice and used more air and my chops lasted all night. one thing I noticed is that I usually start to go sharp at the end of reh. but my intonation was right on all night on the phaeton. the horn blended very well with the section. old geezer Dave

8. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    played the phaeton again in church yesterday, such a nice sound. I am using a Monette B5LD mouthpiece and it seems to work very well with this horn. hate to give it up but I must. I feel this horn would really shine in a combo setting but not as a lead for big band [it might work with a different mouthpiece, I didn't switch mouthpieces trying to keep out all variables]. over all impression - very well made horn, absolutely gorgeous, plays very open and in tune. the more I play it the more I like it. my first impression was that I didn't care much for it but after playing it in an ensemble situation it really started to feel good. I can see at the bottom of the 3rd valve slide the satin finish is already starting to show a little wear [it is starting to look shiney]. Thank you Felix for allowing me to test this fine horn. old geezer Dave. :cool:

9. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I forgot to post my wife's impression of this horn. she is a very good player[much better than I] and the first thing she did was play portions of Napoli, Arban's Carnival, and some dixie. the horn responeded very well, she loved the valves, and it was open. she said that if she got the horn she would have to reposition the rings [her hands are smaller than mine]. she thought it was a little stuffy in the lower range but thought it really opened up the higher she played. she would like just a little more resistance up high. old geezer Dave

10. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I shipped the phaeton off to the next lucky fellow yesterday afternoon and played my favorite horn last night in community band reh. I didn't realize how well the phaeton slotted and played in tune. My K-Allmen felt slippery and I had to work a little at keeping it in tune. In my case the best way to test a horn is to put my horn away and play the test horn exclusively. I didn't realize how well the phaeton played until I gave it up. Thanks again to NYTC for allowing me to play this fine horn. old geezer Dave