Reviving a 9-year-old

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Nov 14, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Hi,

I am in receipt of a really nice Getzen Eterna II 700S from 2003. Per the seller it has not been played much, if at all, since new (and it shows :)). What steps should I take, assuming it has perhaps sat in a case for 8 years or so?

Should I disassemble and clean or just clean/lube valves? What to look for?

Thank you! Looking forward to getting a few notes out of it soon!

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Yep, take it apart, so you know nothing is frozen. Snake out the tubes, lube, oil, and enjoy! If really crusty, take it to your local repair guy and give it an ultrasonic cleaning.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I picked up a Strad 37 recently in similar shape. I took it apart, inspected it, wiped it down, lubed it, and played it. I'm still playing it a week later. A trip to the tech for some professional TLC is in its future, but its great for now.
    Jim

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a germophobe - any used horn I buy gets a thorough bath before extended playing. I learned this the hard way after finding a green furry moldy thing in a pawn shop horn after playing it for a week - too gross!!! Any horn that sits for years has a chance to grow stuff. Yuck!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Agreed. Any horn I get receives a 91% isopropyl alcohol soak before I play.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I thought a little about my earlier post to this thread after reading the responses from flugelgirl and gmonady. Their posts were better than mine. I received original paperwork with my new-to-me 2000 Strad, which included care instructions. Those instructions mirror what I received with a new ML1: frequent mouthpiece cleaning; frequent valves/valve casings cleaning (wipe down w/clean lint-free cloth); washing of valves and horn with lukewarm water (NEVER HOT!) w/cold water rinse; and lubing. I'll be doing this tomorrow w/my Strad.
    Jim

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The Getzen Eterna II 700S is a silverplated instrument and it will stand up to a decent cleaning, including hot water and dishwashing detergent. Don't get the valve felts wet at all. Pull it apart, clean the bits, rinse them thoroughly, let the whole thing dry. Lube everything, reassemble, now give the outside a good wipe down. I would then give it a light polish - not too much - just enough the get rid of the finger marks and stuff, hand buff the trumpet. Now, mouthpiece in a coffee mug and give it a scrub with detergent and a MP brush - rinse by pouring boiling water over it, stick the mug (containing the MP) under warm water so the temp comes down so that you can handle it. Give it a hand buff too. Did you see how much stuff came out? Now it's playtime.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Gee Doc,
    And I suppose you're breathing and blowing into the one end doesn't result in all sort of precious little thingies setting up shop inside? And I just bet that they're probably identical to you what your alcohol bath killed. The alcohol won't do much for viruses and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Now in my case, I breath nothing but but purity through mine.:-P
    Doc Mike

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Doc Mike, check out "Chest" the September 2010 issue. There is an Evidence-based "N of 1" study (the best class of Evidence-based validity studies) that demonstrates the mycobacteria cultured from the instruments (as well as the fungus) resulted in complete remission of hypersensitivity pneumonitis that resulting after treating with 91% isopropyl alcohol. So if it's good enough to eliminate hypersensitivity pneumonitis, it's good enough for me; as unlike you, I do not blow pure tones.

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    gmonady,
    I stand corrected and humiliated.:shhh:
    Doc M