Reviving a 9-year-old

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Nov 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, I am hoping that the typo from above was just the insertion of an extra "but" rather than your second "but" missing an extra "t"; as in that case, I would believe your horn would culture out a lot of gram negative rods. Hmmmmmmm.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Actually some of my critics claim that my playing sounds as if it originated from that part of my anatomy. They can be soooo cruel!;-)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't let it worry you, ain't nobody I know that blows a pure tone ... and I don't know of any definition for such.

Otherwise, I'm just saying it would take gallons of 91% alcohol to soak a trumpet. My pharmacist would give me a peculiar eye if I bought that much. Burns nicely with low carbon footprint. Totally wrong alcohol to ingest!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When we say take apart ... we do not mean to de-solder any joinings ... only to gently pull slides (if you can), unscrew valve caps and remove valves from the casings ( AND LAY THEM ASIDE IN THE SAME ORDER AND DIRECTION THEY WERE REMOVED). I can suggest that valves be placed in empty separate small containers like drinking glasses and then filled with soaking solution only as high as the solution will not contact corks and felts.

For those that are doing this for the first time with a preowned instrument, if your soaking water solution begins to have a tinge of brown color, it's about a 99% chance that it was pre-owned and played by a tobacco smoker, and the older the instrument is the more likely that this is true, especially those of the 1940 - 1950 vintage.