Reynolds Argenta Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Tim80, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    I've just purchased a Reynolds Argenta trumpet off of ebay. Mainly just to satisfy my trumpet wanderlust. Anyway does anybody know anything about these trumpets? I'm assuming mine is a later model. I've read where the quality was on a par with Olds.

[​IMG]

Tim

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

The top-of-the-line Reynolds was the Contempora (trumpet, cornet, trombone, etc.). The trumpet and cornet models had 1st and 3rd valve triggers and came in both M bore (.458) and L bore (.462) and was made out of yellow brass.

The step down . . . and it was a very SLIGHT step down, starting in the mid-late 50's (I believe) was the Argenta. The Argentas were Contemporas but in Nickle-silver vs. brass and were offered in the same two bore sizes. The Argentas had 1st valve triggers and third valve slide adjustable rings.

I saw the horn you purchased on e-bay and noted that it was a very late model, totally devoid of the normal Argenta features just before Norlin ran Olds/Reynolds into the ground, shut down production and auctioned off all their manufacturing equipment. I thought it sad to see an Argenta that didn't look like an Argenta or have the features I've come to appreciate on an Argenta.

Still, it may be a good player and I hope you really enjoy it.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Thanks Tom,

That's what I thought. I noticed the absence of the trigger. I've read where Olds pro horns even at that late date were high quality but that the student horns really suffered. According to an article by Don Aagard on the Olds Central site the later Reynolds horns had parts manufactured by Olds but were assemble in Abilene, Tx. Hopefully it will be a great player.

4. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Argenta trumpet

I've recieved the Reynolds Argenta trumpet I won on ebay. Ebay is a funny animal. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I lost. The trumpet sounds very nice. I knew about the spotted laquerand missing third valve ring. But what the seller didn't tell me was that the bell has a crack about 3/4 of an inch long. The second slide also has a crack in it. If this horn in its abused state is an example of a Argenta then I highly recommend them.