Reynolds Argenta trumpets/cornets...

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by contempora, Aug 11, 2005.

1. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Looking to collect comments and playing impressions about the Reynolds Argenta trumpets and cornets for the Contempora Corner website. If you've played one of these solid nickel-silver gems, I'd be very interested to hear what you thought - thanks!

2. Jeff Stewart

Jeff Stewart New Friend

Nov 19, 2004
    I have had a couple of the Argenta trumpets and I think they are very nice. they sound different than anything else although I'm not quite sure how to quantify that in understandable terms. To me the trumpets have a sort of cornetish sound (I haven't tried the cornets so they must really sound mellow). I have heard that the nickle silver darkens the sound and That would seem to be the case with these. I know thats not much but I hope it helps.

3. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Anyone happen to see this one that just closed on eBay? Wonder if it'll be relisted... serial number indicates a very early model, probably 1959 - the year the Argenta was introduced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7377626262

Note: I have nothing to do with the auction - just interested in a fine looking horn.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

The outrageous opening bid, and a lack of photos of the case killed bidding.

The seller should relist at a low opening bid and put more photos in. Even so, I doubt it would bring more than $250-$350 . . . although it would be interesting to see!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

5. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
  6. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Actually, the serial number [61753] and engraving pattern on that one point to ~1961 as a date of manufacturer - while I can't see if there's an RMC shield to the right of the engraving or not, I have several Argenta horns noted here with serial numbers just before this one that did have the RMC marking.

The Argenta line was introduced in 1959, so this one's just a few years in.

7. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I saw that one too, I believe. If it is the same one, it had that funky red trimmed/tanish red case, just like my '61 Argenta cornet has.

However, I thought all Argentas around that time frame had first valve slide triggers . . . and the third valve slide adjustable hook attached to the LEFT side of the upper leg of the third valve slide.

I figured that must be a late Argenta possibly with a correct period case. Oh well . . . I guess some Argentas in '61 didn't have a trigger.

I wonder if that one is a "L" or a "M" bore.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

8. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Dang . . . I had the SAME type PLASTIC, two-toned Harmon Mute back in Jr. High in the mid-60's.

The buzzzzzz like crazy once some 9th grader like me drops one and cracks it. :roll:

Tom

9. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    As far as I know, the Argenta's were only made in large bore, so it should be .462".

From the start, they were available with or without the first-valve trigger. Model 44 (later TU-29) didn't have the trigger, Model 45 (later TU-26) had it. Check out this page from the 1959 catalog.

As far as the third valve slide hook goes, don't I see the mounting that it would go into? Maybe they lost the hook along the way...

10. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    Argenta

A little known fact about the Argentas, and a question...

The Cleveland Argentas were all built as large bore horns:.462. Then, this was changed to .468 when the company moved to Abilene. I'd like to know if anybody has tried both versions, and if so, which one did they prefer?