Reynolds gurus.... share your knowledge please

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by supportlivejazz, Jan 1, 2014.

1. supportlivejazz

supportlivejazz Piano User

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
  2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Reynolds (Professional, Sterling) Trumpets - Contempora Corner Looks like it was sold? Probably a Professional model built between 38-40 according to Contempora corner. Don't know the comparison to Olds of the time.

This is an early model from the dimpled bottom caps and the design of the top caps, plus I think the Reynolds serial list on Contempora wound indicate build between 38-40. Looks like production went up significantly.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. supportlivejazz

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
    It definitely was sold.... to me. Have not owned or played one so I figured I'd get some input while I await its arrival.
    My expectations are not too high... but neither was the price I think.

I had forgotten about that site. I knew I had visited a Reynolds information site, but "Reynolds" search did not get me there. Thanks.

4. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Not sure if you are looking for introductory information about Reynolds, but from Olds Central:
    Around 1964, Olds and Reynolds were acquired by Norlin Music. They began making parts for both brands of horns in the Fullerton plant under their separate labels. By the end of the 60's Olds and Reynolds were producing two separately-labeled lines of nearly identical horns. So the Fullerton plant was producing not only the 50,000 Olds horns a year but also parts for approximately 10,000 more Reynolds horns a year. Some Reynolds production had been moved from Cleveland to Abilene Texas, possibly to a facility Norlin had acquired from Caldwell Products. (Thanks to Jeff Mansfield for this information). The Fullerton plant was producing Reynolds parts and shipping them to Abilene for assembly.

According to Robb Stewart's article, quality began to suffer by the end of the 60's due to the high production rates and Norlin's emphasis on mass-produced, high-volume student model horns. In 1970 Zig Kanstul left the company to become manager of the nearby Benge plant. However, Olds production continued at a brisk pace until 1979 when Norlin stopped production of both the Olds and Reynolds product lines. Presumably the declining quality together with strong competition from Yamaha, Selmer/Bach, Conn, Holton, etc left the company unprofitable.

According to the serial number info at F. E. Olds & Sons Serial Number Listings the date is around 1956. So, pre-"merger".

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Says "Cleveland", so I don't know if any Olds model of the time compares...unfortunately, the item is "no longer available"...

6. supportlivejazz

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
    Ahhhh... so the comparison to Olds models would not apply because it is an earlier Reynolds production horn. Makes sense.

It is NLA because I bought it. I hit the BIN as he was making the serial number correction and I sent payment immediately so when he updated it, it was already sold. It was confusing for a few minutes, but got straightened out.

7. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    IMO you stole it. it needs a little work pushing out some dings and dents in the bell flare, well worth the investment in repairs.

8. supportlivejazz

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
    I think the price was right. I look forward to getting it, playing it and deciding whether it should be restored and kept or just passed on due to being "not for me".

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But you need to move to down under in order to play it.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Nice score. Please post your thoughts once it arrives and you can try it out.