Reynolds Tromhorn Ramblings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, May 12, 2009.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    An old friend from out of town paid me a visit this past weekend and brought his horn collection for me to see. He's primarily a baritone player, and has one (don't remember the brand), and also has an old King student trumpet, and a new aquisition, a Reynolds Contempora Tromhorn. It looks like an alto horn, but is pitched in Bb and sounds a lot like a trombone. His baritone mouthpiece fits it, too.

He doesn't live close enough to a city with a concert band or anything, so he just plays in his church. He played a few pieces on the baritone and tromhorn for me, and they were very nice - good tone, technique, and phrasing. He then played the trumpet, on a Bach 1C, to make the transition from baritone to trumpet a little easier he said. His tone was pretty bright and ragged, and he had trouble on the same high notes he'd just played so nicely on the other horns.

I dug out a couple of my trumpets and had him try them, but the results were about the same. I played His King trumpet, and it was an OK horn, too. I told him he needed a cornet [​IMG] , and let him try my "spare" Conn 5A Victor with a Getzen 4B mouthpiece. Man, what a difference! Beautiful tone and the high notes were much easier. He really liked it, and I told him to take it home a few months and play it. I explained to him that I had another one and was about to put this one on eBay anyway, so it needed a new home. If he likes it, it's his for nothing, but he doesn't know that yet (he'll have to buy a mouthpiece or use the Conn 4 that came with it, though - the 4B is on loan to me).

An interesting side note - he was commenting on how easily the Victor played, and I told him it had a huge bore, about .484. To illustrate, we pulled a slide from his King trumpet and put the end inside a slide receiver on the Conn. I could rattle it back & forth, with clear space all the way around. For comparison, I then pulled a slide from the Tromhorn and slid one end of the Conn slide in the Reynolds receiver and guess what? It was a perfect fit! That cornet has a small trombone-sized bore, which may make him more comfortable with it.

Just some ramblings from an enjoyable Saturday afternoon... [​IMG]

2. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So what you're saying is that you "geeked out" for a few ours?! :)