Reynolds trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigdigit5, Apr 21, 2007.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You have a much modified Olds Ambassador trumpet that I would love to give a blow.

OLDLOU>>

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Other than the Reynolds Ranger and any Reynolds made in Elkhart, In. they are at least a full step above almost any of the vintage horns of their respective selling price class. The exceptions that I noted should just be avoided. The RMI made horns manufactured in Elkhart were not really made under the direction of Foster Reynolds. Richards bought the name and patent rights after Foster retired the first time. One of the major reasons that he bought the name and rights back was to re establish his name as a good one, not tied to a bunch of poorly made instruments made of poor quality, economy grade brass.

OLDLOU>>

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yes they are.

By this time in their evolution, both Reynolds and Olds had been bought up and "combined" on an assembly line by the new company.

This was in during the death throes of each company . . . the darkest years . . . and soon both brands were gone.

The idea with the Pinto and the Ranger was a modular, sturdy student horn with easily interchangable parts so that a band director or rank-beginner technician could easily change busted up parts out when "junior" crunched his bell or dropped his horn down a flight of stairs.

Both horns were pretty terrible . . . but today they are a unique thing to talk about in a collectors collection.

T.

4. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Ahh...the "infamous" "H" conversion...long story on that one. It is actually a long & convoluted story, but the short version is that it is currently off to Josh Landress' shop in NY for instalation of one of his patent pending "floating mouthpipes." I was never happy w/the very heavy leadpipe Harrelson put on it....wasn't crazy about the small Olds bell either, so now it has a beautiful Martin Galaxy bell.

Bottom line is that when I get it back from Josh; it will be a horn with customizations by 3 custom builders and myself....!!! I'll have to see how it blows then! :cool: (never knew you were interested in it....):dontknow:

5. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I recently spent some time with a colllector who is a "big player" on Ebay( I purchased an amazing HN White King Master Model 1932 Cornet from him).....Fortunately, he lives about 15 minutes away. He still owns about 150 horns but there are about 25 trumpets he says he will not sell. Of the 25, one is a 1940 Reynolds Professional and the other is the Reynolds Leonard Smith model. Considering the quality of his collection, this speaks volumes about the quality of Reynolds trumpets.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007