RHODIUM

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Castle Bravo, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    I'm not sure there is another horn like this one anywhere in the world.
    Rhodium (same metal group as platinum) plated - don't have it yet, these are the usual teaser pics you get from Leigh before he ships the horn....
    ....can't wait!! :shock:

Very similar to silver - but slightly whiter, and the never tarnishing shine goes on forever....
    Bling Bling, baby!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    You going to let me test play it before you fly Gary? :D

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Sure - if it ever gets here :-?

Naaaaaa just kidding; it will get here - Leigh is a very busy man though. :D

You are more than welcome to play test it!

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    lovely horn.

a couple of years ago i posted questions (forgot where) regarding 'exotic' platings. no replies.

there were some metals i had researched that were more more expensive than i could imagine that produced unusual colorings.
    i even found a place that specialized in plating with them.

$$$$$$$$$ weep, sob....oh, well...i knew a guy once who had a beginner trumpet gold plated because it reminded him of his first axe. i do NOT have that kind of dough.

dj

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Do you have any pictures from the bottom of the horn near the 1st valve slide? Does this trumpet tune at the bell crook? I can't see the tuning slide.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Eclipse trumpets have a unique tuning slide at the bell crook, which is why you don't see it in the typical spot off of the leadpipe. You can sort of see the tuning slide setup in the last picture that Gary posted.

That's a wonderful looking horn - how much more expensive is the Rhodium plating than the traditional silver?

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Nice horn,Gary.
    I heard Noel testing it this morning.
    This baby sounds amazing!!!!

Felix

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is an interesting site regarding rhodium plating:

http://www.artisanplating.com/faqs/rhodiumfaqs.html

It's interesting to note that (according to the article) rhodium plating is not as bright as silver - but if it wears better than silver, I'm curious why it isn't used more on instruments.

9. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    From what I understand,one of the reasons why it is not used more often on instruments,because it does cost more than 24K Gold plating.
    I am not sure about other reasons.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That would make sense. My friend that does a sort of mini tank plating for mouthpieces showed me the two $500 bottles of plating solution he had for gold and platinum. The bottle of platinum solution was significantly smaller than the bottle of gold. I suspect that Rhodium would probably be similar in cost.