Rhythmic Breathing

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by wiseone2, Nov 7, 2004.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    By breathing rhythmically, I always know where my attacks will need to be. Licks like the opening of "Rienzi" or the pesky piano C cornet entrance in "La Mer" are an adventure, for me anyway, without a plan 8)
    I think of it this way........... 1,2,3, breath, play. I, of course, make adjustment for different measure signatures. I play this way under all circumstances.
    Timing and air.
    Wilmer

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wilmer (and others): I would appreciate your thoughts on this breathing thing. I was always taught as you just posted, Wilmer... 1, 2, 3, breath, play (with everyone in the ensemble breathing together to encourage correct entry). The tempo for breathing to be strictly dictated by the tempo for playing.

Now, I have also had one person say "inhale very slowly for X beats and then exhale for X beats.... repeat increasing "X". They also said to inhale for a whole bar before the first note. Personally (and I could be entirely wrong) I think this type of breathing (long, slow) doesn't help the body "learn" the quick breath necessary during long runs or very short (quarter, eighth, etc.) rests which you WILL run into frequently in band music.

Comments please?

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Ed,

I think they are two different exercised for two different things.

I tell my students to tell me a note (G in the staff for example). Hold the horn down. 1, 2, 3, PLAY that note. It teaches you to breathe and set your embouchure while getting your horn ready. You are thinking about setting the embouchure, the breathing happens fairly naturally. But it is just one of many exercises.

Long rhythmic breathing helps build lung capacity and air control.

Anyone really interested in the nuts and bolts should get the video Breathing Gym. Some great stuff in that video.

Jim

4. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Ed....just like you I was taught many years ago in the Salvation Army to breathe, when playing hymns, at the end of the phrase i.e. every four bars. However many conductors in UK brass band favour the "breathe anywhere" style...this gives the band an organ like sound effect all over. Obviously intrusive entries are definitely frowned upon. Obviously this style would not work in a big band where the brass section IMHO should all breathe as one when playing together.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    " The key is to avoid locking the air in before playing becasue this makes it impossible to move a significant amount of air freely."

Vincent Cichowicz

Teaching the Concepts of Trumpet Playing, The Instrumentalist, January 1996