Rich Wetzel's GHJO - Reverbnation Sound Samples

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rich Wetzel, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I just thought I would post this link to some clips from our last two CD's, Live and The Mayn Thing. This is our big band in the northwest, Tacoma WA.

Click to play Songs from ReverbNation:
    ReverbNation Player

Tenderly - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Chameleon - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Groove Blues - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Gonna Fly Now - Rocky - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    How Sweet It Is - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    My Romance - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Coconut Champagne - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Malaguena - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Virgin De Macarena - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Mac Arthur Park - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Superbone Meets The Badman - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Georgia On My Mind - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Bon Homme Richard - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO
    Polka Dots and Moonbeams - Rich Wetzel and his GHJO

2. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    Well done Rich, There's some great sounding stuff on there and some arrangements that I've not heard.

3. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks, it has been a ton of fun, so many wonderful musicians all coming together to play these great charts. It really has been a passionate project for all of us and I am sure will be for many years to come. Take care and thanks again for the kind words.

4. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Wow, this is a hot sounding band. Just listened to Tenderly, love the fat trumpet sound. I'm curious - did you change mouthpieces between playing the melody in the first part and the screaming stuff at the end, or do you use the same one?

5. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    There's guys I know who are really good at switching mouthpieces, I prefer not too other than my flugel, so in answer I play the same one at the beginning and at the end, a Bobby Shew Yamaha lead model.

I just drop my jaw, open up a bit, think that fat sound in my mind at the beginning and then for the scream thing in the last half just try to hear a Maynard type sound in my head and do what I can to get as close to that as I can, bring my tongue and jaw back up a bit. For me it just feels easier not to switch a lot, but as I say some truly fine players are comfortable doing that and sound fantastic.

There's a long winded answer, lol...

6. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    thanks for your answer, Rich. I've always thought the sound image in one's head is the most powerful tool to change the sound, amazing how well it works.

7. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I totally agree that too often people think of changing equipment as the way to change the sound but there is so much you can do from the mental image or sound in your head to how you adjust you air, sound, droping or raising your jaw or tongue level, doo tonguing vs a more prounonced attack, those techniques give you a lot more colors on your pallat to paint with.

8. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I am planning on one of our big outdoor summer concerts doing the expanded big band like I did a few years ago on a few big tunes like Malaguena, and a couple others, should be fun.