Richard Waddell on Motivation & Inspiration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Feb 8, 2013.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
  2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    This is a great point, one that us young trumpeters need to realize. Sure you may be inspired by the greats (Méndez, Vizzutti, Armstrong and the rest), but if one is not motivated they will never achieve their potential. In my mind inpsiration simply gives you the idea, "Hey, that's neat. I want to able to do that." Your desires will stay simply desires without the motivation (Hey,I need to practice this measure 100 times.") It is quite easy to inspire, but quite diffucult to motivate someone to a point when they will do what is neccessary to succed.

I know from personal experiance that, for me, motivation must be constantly fueled. I have to keep listening to the masters, reading about technique, and basicly have substantial inspiration to remain motivated. The hard part is staying focused through the doubt that frequently comes. For that you have to just keep chugging along :cool:.

3. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Bamajazzlady.... It is difficult to be motivated if you have not first been inspired; but I propose a third prerequisite for achievement in any endeavor: "perspiration." JA

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Ahh, would to God it were that simple.
    The path to the music room is littered with the wrecks of those who were inspired. Nay, even motivated until the realization of the effort involved proved too much. And sometimes, no amount of motivation and inspiration is enough to overcome either laziness or feelings of inadequacy when we hit a stumbling block.