Rick Braun Chelsea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Classic Rick Braun. He always has a nice sound, with a tone that is distinctively Rick. I would really like to see him take it to the next level, and follow the lead of Chris Botti.

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I actually disagree. I think Rick Braun is unique in his own style as is Botti. They should not collide.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't think there is disagreement, as I noted: "...a tone that is distinctively Rick." Rick truly does have his own style. The problem is it is always with an ensemble the plays in the same "rhythm ace" newage groove. My next comment, "I would really like to see him take it to the next level, and follow the lead of Chris Botti," is truly a call to this excellent muscian's next step. Chris moves around so much more with such versitility from clasical to straight ahead jazz, to yes smooth jazz. I would love to hear Rick open up more on his improvisational chops. He has yet to do this to the level I believe he is able to achieve. Chris excells with performers like Herbie Hancock behind him. I would love to see Rick hitch his wagon to such high energy jazz greats, and get him out of the rhythm ace mode.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Saile, let me also state, the only live Jazz performer I have seen since moving away from NYC IS Rick Braun. I even played a jazz festival close to his venue at the Columbus Jazz and Rib Festival. Heard him there as well (for free as a fellow participating musician). So I am very much a fan of Ricks, and a constructive critique as well.

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Sorry, i misunderstood you in your first post.

I agree wit the "newge" groove Rick does. However his latest album "sings with strings" is a little different.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Post some clips from this if find them. I'd love to hear more of Rick.

8. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do I detect a little Chet Baker here? Even the singing! I still say I LOVE RICK's TONE!!!! Voice isn't too bad either. Thanks for the post Saile. Now give me some more from his new album!

PS: Love the dent in the flugle bell curve. Gives character to the horn.

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What's funny about that flugel in the picture is that he's actually no longer playing it! If you look on the Marcinkiewicz artist page you can see what he's playing now. I think that's an old photo back when he was endorsing Getzen.