Ridding of the constipated face?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, May 12, 2012.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I make this face to a decent degree even at G in the staff. How do I make it go away? I'm working to rid of my bad body tension and bring more good tension, but I can't seem to fix my face.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahahahaha ...... Good question. I had, well, I wouldn't call it a constipated face ... but a whole lot of unnecessary agravation written all over it. I fixed it with a mirror, over the course of a few weeks, on the instructions of my teacher who was gone on a two week holiday (I had puffing cheeks he didn't like).

That was step 1.

Step 2 was getting a Monette Prana mp that pretty well demands that you use less pressure, agravation, constipation, and etc. to get out nice clean notes.

Now I have a calm face. And I sound better (that WAS a year and a half ago ... I should sound better by now :lol:). Good luck wth the face.

Turtle

3. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    How would you go about this with the mirror? Just relaxing as much as possible, then going to hit a note?

:-) I have an enormous mirror in my room, it's on the door of my closet.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's much easier to get a small mirror that you can put on the music stand, especially if you have a Manhasset stand (with lots of room). I bought one at the store for $5. That way, you can work on your face as you normally practice.

I think it's just a matter of seeing what is going on on your face and adjusting things so you look calm. You'll feel calmer, too. That's the good part. I'd say, just go about your business of practicing and, over a little time, days, weeks or months, your face will look more like you enjoy what you're doing, and less like you're uncomfortable for some reason.

Check out some of the jazz greats ...... THEIR faces can look like that's where ALL the effort is, but maybe that was also for the audience, who may have figured that a struggling face means a hard working musician. :lol:

Turtle

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's really a BIG problem when you actually have constipation or feel the opposite is about to occur when the song you are playing is about to end and your solo is next on the program. I do believe we are all human who play trumpets. I've known one college student to faint, the very first day he put on a uniform. Later, we found out that he had just been told he was going to be a Papa. Oh yes, he was married to the Mother.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We improve our playing by doing the things that are good for us. We improve our looks by spending time on things that often reap no other benefits.

My suggestion is to start working on your breathing, then get a heavier dose of long tones and lipslurs and when your playing is more "relaxed", your face will be in a more efficient state for playing.

The beauty when playing comes out of the bell, not off of a photo of you playing.

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Any movement of the muscles of the face does not cause you to play good or bad. This is only sympathetic muscular motion. ( When one muscle moves, the surrounding muscles " give " a little : You can't play rigid.) It's what happens on the inside that counts, and any visible corresponding movement is no cause for concern or celebration.

As explained by Bill Knevitt

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Plenty of the greats have "constipated face" photos out there. I wouldn't worry about it and as has been said work on what counts. The most relaxed looking guy I've seen is Byron Stripling, but even he gets "connstipated" at times! :D

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I recommend the stress reduction medication, Damitol.

Finding those high notes a strain to hit? Do you see all that tension in your face? Is this adding to the stress of your playing?

Well if you answered yes to all of these questions, then just say DAMITOL.

Take one tab PRN before each performance. See you local physican and when you say Damitol to him/her, the reaction will be predictable. Not to be taken if on MAOIs, if pragnent or lactating, or if you are a close friend to Kingtrumpet. It may cause hair loss, or red rings in the mouthpiece. In some individuals holding notes too long, there has been an association with erectile dysfunction, in which case you go to seeAlice (my wife the psychiatrist).

And you will be more relaxed.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ha! Ha! What a spiff! As has been said. "You can fool some of the people some of the time. but not all the people all the time". No such medication is shown in my copy of the PDR. Well, at least you listed enough disclaimers that I won't be using it. Now I know there is a probable rationale why Alice married you.