Ridding of the constipated face?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, May 12, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Phil Smith is the most relaxed looking - hands down

2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Tine Thing Helseth or Sergei Nakariakov !

Anyways, on the subject, many extremely efficient trumpet players still get this face when playing. It shouldn't be of relevance how you look - it's all about how you PLAY ! (in my opinion}

There are many examples of this.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah,
    1) She's a psychiatrict
    2) I'm crazy

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've noticed that Alison Balsom has a very relaxed looking face when she plays the trumpet ...... I, on the other hand, seem to have a racing pulse when she plays the trumpet. :dontknow:

Turtle

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Deep sighing relaxes facial musculature.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh Turtle, I think you know.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I spent a few years in college working to get my posture more relaxed when I was playing - mostly to help me breathe better. I was working in an alterations shop at the time, and my boss let me use the bridal fitting room with its 3 way mirrors to practice in after hours. Made a huge difference in my sound, and i never had to change my face. Sometimes when you get your breathing right, everything else works itself out! Sometimes I wish I still had the shop to practice in - best practice room I ever had, and I could practice there all night without disturbing any neighbors!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am just wondering, how many mirrors did you break in the process?

With my skills if I tried this, I would be much safer with a bridal room that involved horses. On seconed througt, it wouldn't make a difference where I tried this, and the mirrors would break with me just looking into them before I even touched the trumpet.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Flugelgirl, you also probably enjoyed the feedback from the concave of the 3-way mirrors.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Gmonady, you'll just have to find a 3 mirror setup made with 1" thick Lexan(tm). Unlikely, you'd break such a mirror then even if you threw a tantrum and tossed your instrument at such. No horse kick would either. Too, don't think you'd want to play your trumpet in a stable with a mare or even a stallion or both present ... especially your high energy jazz.