Right hand on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jan 4, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Which ever way i hold the trumpet with my right hand my fingers are at an angle to the valves i,e not at 90 degrees. is this common? is this a problem? many thanks for your help.

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Left hand is what it's supposed to be held with.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ideally, we push the valves straight down so the valve oil can do its job. If not the valves will wear down, not at the critical ports, but on the lower third, usually on the bell side, and can cause some hanging. If you get to that point on a well made instrument you've pushed them down often enough to make you a pretty fine trumpeter.

I'm more concerned about getting my pencils back from the string players who borrow them, even when they do blow me a kiss. Cute string players are OK, but good pencils are hard to find, and in the hands of a good trumpet player last almost as long as valves.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Truth!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    They should make you two Moderators - you'd be perfect for the job ;-)

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Trumpet players don't need pencils - they're the only orchestra musicians intelligent enough to remember everything by heart ;)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    VB or other, tell me the name and grade of the pencil you like, I've got sources in the U.S. and can tell you where to order them (by the dozen). To make notes on music, I don't recommend an Eberhard Faber "Ebony" pencil as they smudge when attempting to erase them, but they do nicely as cosmetic pencils to enhance black eyebrows and are much less expensive than those one purchases in cosmetic stores. Personally, I prefer an HB grade, but a #2 standard school pencil will do.

However, I do recommend an eraser be added to a musician's kit ... the white kind ... such as Eberhard Faber's "Magic Rub" or those also marketed by Mars-Staedler. I get them as refills for my "Click-it" and electric eraser, but the small blocks I cut into wedges to disburse to students.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    As for the original question, if I am understanding it, you are having trouble keeping the tips of the right hand fingers on the buttons. That is the "best" way of playing, though the rules are quite flexible when it comes to art. I never liked the look of drooping them over the top of the valve, and my experience is that it slows down the motion, not to mention placing sideways force to it, adding funky wear patterns to the piston. Heres what I do and you can try it for what its worth. First, I rotate the entire trumpet just a bit to the right so that the valves point off to the right side a few degrees. (the exact amount may vary with the length of your fingers) I keep the right hand farther off of the instrument to the point that the pinky barely contacts its ring and the thumb just barely reaches the valve casings. The pinky and thumb just steady the hand on the trumpet and give reference to the others to find the buttons. Now it is a lot easier to make the gentle arch with the fingers to the tops of the buttons. Pushing them is more comfortable too. Ive done this for years and when I watch trumpet players play in the straight up fashion, it just seems foreign to me. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    grab the horn in your left hand with the hand around the valve casing ----- take your right hand, slightly elevate it above the valves, keep your pinky finger in the ring ---- remember YOU are holding the trumpet in your left hand, so the right hand can then be moved however you desire such that curved fingers can press down on the valves ---- your right hand shouldn't hold the trumpet....if you are using your right hand to hold the trumpet, you ar too tense, and won't be able to push the valves down very easily ----------------------well that is what I think

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Keep your pinky OUT of the ring. It slows down the fingers and encourages you to hold the weight of the trumpet.