Right hand on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jan 4, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, my -- I have been doing it all wrong, all of these years -------- and yet, somebody who designed the trumpet put pinky rings on there ---how silly!!!! --- ((((the pinky ring just keeps the pinky occupied, my pinky finger can't hold much anyhow, I suppose for a younger man, the pinky ring might be a problem ----- but for me the pinky ring keeps my hand from shaking and those other 3 fingers aligned with the valves ---------------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, can't remember what my thumb on my right hand is doing all this time))) ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Yes, you probably have KT. The third finger can move much faster if the pinky is free or sticking up, than it can if anchored in place. It's just how the hand works. Of course the ring helps to hold for mute changes or page turns.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh my -- this guy does it all wrong then -- -I am pretty sure he has his pinky finger in the ring --- of course, he might have been able to move his fingers faster, if he only knew how wrong that was --- ROFL ROFL ROFL
    Phil Driscoll at Queensway Cathedral 1985 Part 6 - YouTube

Dupac likes this.
  4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    KT....Did you ever find your right thumb? Best wishes.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Well he hardly used third valve so not a problem, but when he did have a fast passage you can see he takes his pinky finger out.

Try it yourself KT. Press your pinky finger down and then try to move the third finger fast. Then try it again with your pinky sticking up. The third finger WILL move faster. Basic body mechanics.

6. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Is there any reason why a left handed person cannot press the valves with their left hand. Asking this on behalf of a frien

7. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    I find it hard to throw my third valve slide when my pinky isn't in the ring. However I do agree that I can work the valves faster and dont force notes as much.

8. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My son is essentially left-handed and he was taught to play his tuba right-handed - not a problem, when he wants to scratch his nose during a performance the left hand takes over without even being asked - fascinating to watch, tuba gives the same beautiful velvetty tones regardless. Wellllll .... it's just a really BIG trumpet.

10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I'm a left handed person as well, and I was jus tought to play right handed. I think any left handed person can play right right handed as well. In a sec, I'll give left-hand playing a try and let you know what I think of it.

In the meantime, here's a thread I made on how I hold the horn, it might be worth reading: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/holding-horn-70555.html#post677608