Right hand on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jan 4, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    My first teacher Leo Kappelmeier always told me to practice trumpet playing both right- and left-handed. He said that that was the quickest way of managing all the fingering. He was absolutely right. And a few years later I was rewarded by his foresight - I managed to put my right hand through a glass door and cut several nerves and blood vessels, needing a series of operations. My right hand was swathed in bandages for more than four months. But I was able to practice and play normally - just using the left hand. I even was given a room by myself in the hospital so I could play undisturbed...

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Wow, impressive. I think I might take up left hand playing, just for fun and to try to explore the most out of trumpet playing, because I do notice that my right hand is way faster and more flexible than my left hand, with which I mean that my index, middle finger and ring finger just feel 'younger'/

I can't imagine my hospital allowing that, these kind of stories show the kindness of people, which I always like. Did your hand recover or do you still play left handed, or still multi-handed?

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'm left-handed, though I learned to play trumpet "normally" without problem. I don't find it hard to play left-handed and sometimes switch hands in rehearsals to work my left-hand ring-finger coordination. If we end up playing the same section over and over in rehearsal, I'll start working on my right-handed upside-down fingering, ala Clark Terry. My left-handed upside-down fingering isn't up to snuff, however.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Flexibility returned after more than two years, but in three fingers, sensitivity is gone forever... So I'm normally playing right handed, but whenever my left hand is tirep of holding the hooter, I can switch.
    Thanks for asking.

GijsVis likes this.
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps it would be less painful to play a French horn than putting my right hand fist through a glass door which are now tempered glass if up to building code here. I've got an escape gadget in the glove compartment of our car that breaks glass that I'll use ... if I have to. It also cuts seat belts ... never know if I might need it.

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    What about cute flute players?

7. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    When I used to play viola, the french horn player sitting beside me would tie the shoe laces of my left shoe to the shoe laces of my right while I played and she counted through x-hundred bars of rest. I can't recall if she also used to take my pencil.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No real reason why not, if needed, it can be done and has been done.

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Which ever way you approach the problem, I agree, the wear & tear problem for the horn is minimal and down to quality of valve, valve casing and lubricating oil materials. As humans we will all have the wrong geometry with our fingers and joints as they move up & down. I think the rotary is better from this point of view, also with its shorter travel.

When you consider it carefully Selmer were on the right track for perinet valves with their RADIAL design. As the fingers travel down, the finger tips get closer ;-)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NOT TO WORRY my friend, my fingers can definitely keep up with my playing and my tonguing abilities on the horn ---- I'm not nearly in the category of the Phil Driscoll's, or doc Severinsens, OR DOC ONADY's off the trumpet world ---- perhaps that is why I have never noticed this before, there is NO NEED for me to try and make my fingers go faster!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---------------------