Right Hand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 29, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Next time you guys play have a look at your right fingers on the valves are they at 90 degrees to the lead pipe? what is the best position in relation to fingers and angle from lead pipe? your observations are welcome. :)

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Whatever feels most comfortable to you. Position of the fingers on the valves largely depends on the trumpet model as well. You will find that your finger position will be different on a cornet than on a trumpet, will be different again on a flugelhorn, will be different again on a rotary trumpet, will be different on a "balanced model" trumpet... and every position will be correct. Only make sure you depress the valves straight - if there's any sideways pressure, you might on the long run damage the valve interiors.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, what feels most comfortable to you, both related to finger ease and pressure or angle on the lip exerted by the grip.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I play with my fingers "cupped" over the valves --- or bent if you like -- sort of a half fist --- and then push down (((I know a few people in community band who do the 90 degree angle and their fingers are NOT bent ------------------------ I guarantee you I can play faster chromatics, and scales than those people who don't bend their fingers!!!!

5. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    I was taught by the principle trumpet of 3 different symphony orchestras to "cup" the fingers with finger tips pointed downward on the valves as described by Kingtrumpet. This position appears to be most characteristic of orchestral players. Apparently no one ever taught Doc Severinsen that, at least early in his career..... (I was fortunate enough to see him up close and personal at a concert many years ago). I also had a professional trumpet player, who kept his fingers basically straight and depressed the keys with the underside of the last joint, explain to me only that he got a better vibrato with that hand position. So I would second Barliman2001's and Gmonady's posts that it is a personal matter of comfort and performance.... As an academic exercise you could probably make a case for either position based on compromises between anatomy and biomechanics.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    There are a lot of people who play with flat fingers and can be successful that way... but if you're just learning, the high hand position with the curled fingers (as if you are holding a ball in your hand while you play) is probably a better choice.

Tom

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    On this subject, has anyone here had issues with carpal tunnel syndrome, and if so, is that technique related?

....ps I play cupped 95% of the time but sometimes switch over to slappy-paddle in slow bits to relax

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I haven't, and I type for a living (professional writer). But then again, I've always ignored the "ergonomics" people who recommended a position suitable for an electric typewriter (idiots). Proper support is very important.

Tom

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Interesting, Tom, since I've had some (small) issues with computer keyboards in the past. But I've been okay with the trumpet. Just wondering...

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    There should be NO bending back of the wrist. Your wrist and forearm should be at least in line, preferably bent forward (or down). This is a major issue with rotary trumpets, and why I put the rotors very high on my rotary posthorn (Jaegerhorn).