right or wrong, my crisis is over...for now

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 11, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    When I started playing trumpet again after many years, I chose a Rudy Muck 17C mouthpiece to play on. I took a lesson with a University professor of music (trumpet) who said nothing about the mouthpiece. He did give a little chuckle, but found it more important to assign me a good warm-up. I play in a Klezmer band with a mixture of beginner and professional musicians. One of the professionals is a trumpet player who complemented my tone. Things were going along fine until I thought I was missing something. So I tried a 1, 5C, 3C, and 7C because I knew that 7C is a good place to begin, a 3C is commonly used by some famous musicians, and a 1/1C is used by lots of symphonic players. I tried to make the 3C work, but something was missing. Manny of my TMer friends offered great advice. After running all that advice through my head I decided to run my lips through the mouthpiece that was giving me the best response to begin with; the Rudy Muck 17C. This may prove to be wrong for me somewhere down the line, but for now I'm going to focus on becoming a better trumpet player, and put my mouthpiece crisis to rest. I'm sharing my personal experience here because someone else may be going through this..................thanks to all of you............tom

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    As much as i'd like to take credit for helping, I think you guys know he meant "many".

ML