Rights for recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, May 19, 2013.

1. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I play a lot of solo trumpet in churches around my area, with accompaniment tracks made by a friend of mine (with Finale). He makes arrangements of popular Christian tunes for me, and I've been requested several times by congregation members about recording them. So, how would I go about getting the rights to record them? Specifically, I have arrangements of "Days of Elijah", "As the Deer", and "Trading My Sorrows" that I want to record first. My plan is to make a short (maybe 5 song) CD to sell cheaply. I have a nice little home studio, I can record myself no problem. But I just need to know how to get the rights to do so. None of them are public domain. Thanks in advance!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What you are referring to are the copyright mechanical rights. To do this, such must be acquired from the copyright holder or their legal agent. Who owns these rights is usually published along with the copyright notice at bottom of the first page of sheet music, or in the front of the hymnal/book. However, read Title 17, United States Code. However, I'm only assuming you are resident in the U.S.

3. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    The first place to check is with the Harry Fox agency, then ASCAP. If you don't get an answer from one of those 2 groups.... good luck tracking down the rights holder.

4. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Thanks! Found them all with Harry Fox

5. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    If those clearinghouses don't help, you can also try searching at the US Copyright Office here. You'd want to try searching the Author's Name, the Title of the Song, Title of the Album, etc.

6. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    edfitzvb likes this.
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Harry Fox Agency represents all the composers, artists, and publishers as are members of ASCAP. Usually, but not always, you'll find reference to ASCAP in the copyright notice of sheet music if they are.

The biggest swipe/steal of due royalties came during the prolific output of "tin pan alley" in the early 1900s.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A lot of contemporary worship tunes are licensed through these guys: CCLI: Global

edfitzvb likes this.