Ring From Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Oct 31, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So the other day I actually stood in front of a mirror and played warm up type of material for about 3 minutes. After that I could already see the ring around my lips some from the mouthpiece. I'm not using too much pressure and even though I set my lips a slightly odd way to play, it doesn't look like it would induce this.

It seems like once its there it stays as I practice but goes away within less than 5min after warmdown. Since the actual ring doesn't seem to effect any part of playing (except maybe the slight swelling around the ring after long sessions of playing) I shouldn't be concerned about this should I? I'm just still finding it weird that the ring comes on so fast.

(On a side note I found out the other day that for me, playing higher notes is directing the air with my lips instead of my tounge. I do need to tighten the corners the slightest bit going higher, but with messing around with the extreme higher range of my playing this is what I found is working with my playing. Since my tounge isn't doing anything right now is it possible to somehow work on slight differences in playing to change it from my lips doing the air work to my tounge? Or is this going to take a whole embochure change and tons of time to get used to?)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Don't worry about the ring on your chops. I have yet to see a trumpet who doesn't have some sort of mark after a few minutes of playing.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

A lot of players get a ring on their lips, nothing to worry about unless you are trying to push the mpc through your lips :)

to the side note, the internet is not your friend for that question. Your lips and tongue work together to produce sound, and any detailed answer would require listening/watching you play (preferably in person)