Ring on Lips After Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Master Trumpetissimo, Feb 13, 2008.

Is there a ring on your lips after playing?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Master Trumpetissimo

Master Trumpetissimo New Friend

Jan 10, 2008
    How many people have a ring on their lips from the mouthpiece after playing?

I do, and I don't know if that is alright or not, so I'm just checking to make sure I'm not using too much pressure.

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's just a little pinker than the surrounding lips. No actual indentation. I don't worry about it because I've seen it on several of the players here who have posted YouTube videos. :)

3. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't call it a ring, slightly more color in the area but definitely no ring.

Do your teeth hurt after playing a long while? That is a good sign of too much pressure.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I have a bit of a red ring no matter how little I play and I've know others who can play lead and scream F's and G's and hardly look like they've played a note. I doesn't make any difference unless you're using so much pressure that you're causing a lot of pain and swelling, the red mark by itself is meaningless.

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I Think its just like touching your skin. If you press the top of your hand with your finger and then take it away, you will notice that the spot where your finger was is lighter (in most cases, it doesn't happen to some people) The mouthpiece to the lips is just the same

6. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I once saw Bill Chase in Chicago, he was walking around the exhibits at the MidWest Band and Orchestra Clinic. Though I did'nt wish to appear like some crazed stalker by staring, he appeared to have a good deal of "marking" on both upper and lower lips. I always assumed that was an occupational hazard of being a phenomenal upper register guy. NOT to imply here that Mr. Chase did not use a CORRECT amount of mouthpiece pressure, as he was of course an amazing player.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ring, scars and permanent indent on right side of upper lip. I can still play soft, though.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My ring is just above where my belt is - before and after playing!

I played Tchaikowsky 6 this past weekend and a viola player had red rings around her ears, does that count too?

No hickey after playing.

9. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    It's just part of playing the trumpet. For some it is more pronounced but we all get it. I take it as a compliment, like it is my battlescar!

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I wonder if it is more pronounced with people who have thinner lips. For me it is barely noticeable above or below the lips, but I have full lips. More like really pink lips.