RIP Des Worthington (1961-2008)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Aug 29, 2008.

1. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Dear Trumpetfolks,

I know many of you guys won't have heard of him but Des Worthington, my teacher and friend passed away on Wednesday. Des played for the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra amongst other groups. He taught me everything I know and he'll be dearly missed. The trumpet playing world has lost a truly great player.

Rest in Peace Des

Death of Des Worthington | 4barsrest.com news

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Friend

Aug 11, 2008
    I am so sorry to hear that and share your loss.

Jim

3. tutin_trumpeta

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Thank you Jim.

My original post was a little hurried as I had to get to band... Kinda figured Des wouldn't like it if I didn't go...

Although never a soloist, Des was a very talented man and gave up professional playing, to bring up his son, when his wife died 13 years ago, and from then on became a trumpet teacher instead.

I was only with him for a relatively short time (2 years before University and 5 months after Uni) but he taught me so much and my playing improved an amazing amount whilst i was having lessons with him. One of my fondest memories was my last lesson with him before I went to Uni, 4 years ago. At the end of my penultimate lesson I was sent away with the instruction 'same time next week but you don't need your instrument and you don't need your money'. A week later I turned up at his house and he took me to the pub, bought me a pint with the words "This is an important lesson every trumpet player needs, but that very few teachers teach."

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    The passing of a musician diminishes us all. May the memory of Des live on through those of you who knew him. Accept my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. drncollazo

drncollazo New Friend

Jul 26, 2008
    I share in the sadness of your loss, but remember that Des lives in your hearts and all that he represented will live in your memories and in those you teach.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Sorry to hear about that.

7. tutin_trumpeta

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Dear Trumpetfolks,

Thank you for all your kind words. Des will be missed and remembered by many people, it is a truly great loss.

I went to his funeral today and the fact that it was standing room only is a testament to how loved and respected he was. Rumour has it that the RLPO postponed a recording so that a number of them could attend.

The service was lovely. There was a brass group, made up of former colleagues and friends, who played, throughout the course of the service, Nimrod, Pie Jesu (Rutter), Haydn Trumpet Concerto (2nd Movt) and Adagietto from Mahler 3. His big band, The Starlight Swing Orchestra, then played at the wake.

It was just the send off he deserved.

Once again, thank you all for your kind words.

Nick

Desmond Worthington PPRNCM (23/4/61 - 27/8/08)
    May he rest in peace and rise in glory