Rite of Spring

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by sinfoniantrumpeter, Sep 28, 2005.

1. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Manny/Ed/et al,

So we're doing Rite here at school and I'm "stuck" playing the D part :dontknow:

anyway, my question is in regards to the Danse Sacrale [strarting with rehearsal 142]. How in the world do you count this section?!?!? 3/16 to 2/16 to 2/8. What stays constant? What should I have going through my head when playing this?

Thanks,

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The sixteenth and the eighths stay constant and you'll do well to find a book of etudes that works on that sort of thing. I think there are several: Tommy Stevens wrote one, so did Dufresne/Voisin. The best way is the slow way: with patience and diligence.

Go grab a sheet of music paper and, tonight, write about two or three short (three lines?) studies based on the Rite of Spring for trumpet in Bb then also take out the D or whatever you're using and play them. Be creative but sensible. Tomorrow, write a couple more. You'll be fine.

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Good advice! My old teacher always said that when you start writing your own exercizes, you know you're on your way. Rite looks a lot harder than it is. Get a good recording (Minnesota Orchestra and MET orchestra are my favorites). Study the part while listening.

Good luck!

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I was advised to try the D trumpet part on the Eb trumpet, it has it's merits.
    There is a lick around rehearsal# 70 that would be hip with some added Basie shakes :twisted: They would have a heart attack if you did it.......If I had hit the Lotto......... I love the picc part.

Wilmer

5. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Right on Wilmer! Bernstein said it best when he called ROS "primordial jazz"

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    st-
    Have you looked at a score yet? If not, I would go get one soon. Also, I always listen for the tuba part(s) to help me get through that section. Hope that helps.
    -et al :-P