Ritmo Jondo

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by tpter1, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Anyone know anything about this piece and where I might find it? Can't seem to get a match at Robert King.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Alex- Thanks. It's by Carlos Surinach. One of the other trumpet students when I was doing my grad work told me about it and said it's for clarinet and trumpet. I don't know who publishes it. I wonder if either of the 2 hits you got might be what i am looking for...

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It is a Carlos Surinach composition. The instrumentation is Trumpet, Clarinet, Percussion and hand-clappers. I think Schirmer is the publisher.
    It is a fun to play work.
    Wilmer

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes Glenn, it looks like the correct one. You can call Portland Sheet Music with questions. They are good about customer service.

If you are looking for something for Clarinet and Trumpet, there is the "Double Concerto" by Gordon Jacob. It has a beautiful second movement that I have used in church gigs before. Either way, it looks like we found your piece. :-)

6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Glenn,

It was written for the Jose Limon dance company and is scored for trumpet, clarinet, xylophone, timp, and flamenco-style hand clappers.

It's published (I have it somewhere) and very effective.

Good luck,
    EC

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It sounds like fantastic fun! I might have to look into this little jewel. I am happy it was brought to my attention.

Ed and Wilmer, is there a specific set-up with this instrumentation? Just curious.......

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thank you all so much. Sounds like a really fun thing for both player and listener. I'm curious about setup, too. Now...all I need are some clappers, a timpanist and a mallet player...

That other piece, Alex, (the Jacob) sounds like it might work. (Looking for something for my wife and I to play together!)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There are two versions of this piece. The one you describe, I played in high school at the request of the jazz band teacher, Justin DiCioccio!

The other one is for the same instruments but with strings, as well. I had the pleasure of conducting it with the Community Orchestra for which I was MD. It has more movements. That's the version Ed referred to that Limon's dance troupe commisioned.

Cool piece... very authentic sounding flamenco. Kind of austere and almost skeletal. The only thing it needs are a couple of guitars.

ML