RMC "L" bore Martin Committee

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by operagost, Dec 30, 2016.

1. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'm going to try to post pics, but what do you people think of an RMC-era Committee trumpet (serial indicates 1963), "L" bore, 1st slide trigger, 95% of original lacquer, and a handful of dings on the bell tail for $1,800? Seems like a good price for a large bore with the rather uncommon trigger. The catch is it's online and I won't be able to play it before I buy it...

2. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    If it's the one I recently looked at, the second valve casing has an "L" beneath the serial number, but the seller indicates it is a .453 bore in the description. I would definitely clarify with the seller exactly what the bore size is.

Aside from that, I have only ever played Comittee cornets, so I can't speak to the RMC Committee trumpet. Happy hunting, though.

3. Strobe

Strobe New Friend

Jul 5, 2016
    Solon, Ohio

I looked at a few committees over the past month. If it is in good condition the price seems in the ballpark. I saw a late 40's Martin Handcraft Committee for around $1,800 but needed some work on the lead pipe as the tuning slide would not move, but otherwise good condition. Have seen some other ones that need some minor work around the same price range. The RMC's in general tend to go for a little less than the earlier ones,(40's to mid 50's) but the large bores don't seem to be as readily available. If you can't try this one, then I would at least make sure you have tried a similar one somewhere before buying as they have a different feel depending on the year and make. Good luck.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm guessing your "trepidation" is with the RMC heritage, yes? That is an early RMC based on my memory and some of them were good and others not as good. None of them were trash, but it is $1800. Tricky decision if there is no return policy! Dizzy played RMC Committees, just not off the shelf according to legend.