Roadtrip!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 9, 2005.

1. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    Lazor, I live up in St. Cloud, so I am only an hour away. I go about 3-10 times a year depending on my schedule, what they are playing and the availablity of comp tickets. And generally, MO concerts are great dates! I've taken many a girl to a fine performance at Orchestra Hall!

Patrick

2. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    next on MY agenda? hm....probably finish downloading Counterstrike, do some homework, practice, play some Vice City, you know.

3. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    CS and VC are awesome games...wish i had time to play them
    instead i procrastinate from doing my HW by coming to the forums

4. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    well, not many girls that I know of go out for classical music. and going on a date to an orchestra concert at my school is considered the worst thing you could ever do to a person. :dontknow: :?:
    Classical's good, but i don't actively listen to it. Kids nowadays think you're the biggest dork/nerd ever if you do listen to it.

5. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    In my car I have CD's ranging from Mahler's 7th to Queens of the Stone Age. So I pretty much listen to everything. I didn't listen to much classical in high school either. It was mostly B,S & T, Chase and Maynard filling my head. I didn't know who Bud Herseth was until my sophomore year in college. I was also blown away when I found out that Bud grew up about 20 miles from where I grew up! One quick note Lazer, the term "fag" is not something that is looked at kindly on boards like this. I am not going to lecture or anything, but that kind of term can be very offensive to people, especially the way you used it. "Nerd", "Dork", even "Geek" is fine, heck I know I'm a geek. So just a friendly note,

patrick

6. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    It's funny you should mention the "music fag" connotations...being in Ruralville, USA, one would assume that would be the case here. However, I've found that as local arts programs and festivals have made an effort to be more visible in the community, more and more people seem to be embracing it, and whether classical/jazz etc. is their thing or not, I know very few people who don't respect it for what it is. Just goes to prove that indeed outreach programs DO reap benefits. Not that anyone on this board would argue with that, but I thought some of you might be assured to know that the arts are still alive in Surburbia :cool:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok Manny, I took the mask off and this is what I look like! :D (this is a pic taken at a gig - me and my little home-made sound shield)

I hope you end up with a couple of new toys in Portland. Have a safe but fun trip.

8. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Lazorphase -- screw them!! When I was in school much the same opinion held: "Who wants to listen to long-haired music?"

I do, d*mnit. I wouldn't let the opinion of others stop you from listening to quality music. Without Mozart and Bach, music wouldn't be what it is today, in any of its forms.

Besides, you never know when that date to the orchestra might just be that something extra that a young lady never expected that sets you apart from all the others in the crowd. Besides, if you like it and she doesn't, you're going to have a tough time agreeing on music in the future. It's like politics to me...if my wife were a Democrat I'd never have gotten married!!! If she didn't listen to Classical...well...okay, we probably STILL would have gotten married. But...

Of course...she likes country. That's one major strike there...oh well....

As for ML -- hope you have a BLAST in Oregon. I'm looking forward to a few more sound clips. I finally convinced my Chicago buddy (trombone player) that maybe the brass players at the MO really ARE just that good thanks to those sound clips!

I know the following was really just a joke:

But for those who may be more serious in that sentiment: Chr*st!!! GEt a life. How many of us are there on these boards?? Sure, I sat with eager hope of maybe seeing a reference to myself in that list...but c'mon...how well do all fourteen hundred of us actually know the guy? Give him a break.

(Actually...it is kinda fun to take a couple jabs at a guy of ML's merits once in a while, which is all trumpetmike and bear were doing...but I say the above just in case there are a few who literally took offense at not being mentioned).

Anyway...I'M not offended yet. So there. I don't need any special mention from ML....

Hey Manny -- did I ever tell you you were the greatest ever?? ALL brass players bow before you. Maurice Andre couldn't tie your shoes, you trumpet-GOD you.... :worthy: :whistle:

Hope to hear from you soon!!!

9. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I don't think anyone was really offended...I know I wasn't. I was just messin around. I guess it's hard to convey scarcasm when you type it

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    ! :x ! :evil: ! :twisted: ! :evil: ! :x JOKE! :x ! :evil: ! :twisted: ! :evil: ! :x

Would I ever JOKE about such a matter :roll:

:lol: :-P :lol: