Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Nov 29, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Miles Davis?

Lamar Wright and Dud Bascombe on the Isley Brothers "Twist and Shout"
    Mel Lastie on "I Know You Don't Love Me,"later with Ray Charles Band
    Johnny Coles and Johnny Lynch on "The Horse"
    Marcus Belgrave on "Poppa Was A Rolling Stone"
    Jon Faddis,Victor Paz,Lew Soloff and Wilmer Wise on "YMCA" :roll:
    Wilmer

2. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    YMCA?

Wilmer,

That was the four of you on that tune? Who Knew!!! Great job!

You got my vote... :thumbsup:

Was the Cop in the studio with you guys keeping things civil??? ;-)

Tony G

3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Wilmer, Thanks for posting that. Seems like a lot of pop/rock albums leave off the credits. Lots of good musicians don't seem to get name recognition for the work they do.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wilmer, there's a thread going on at TH at the moment regarding Miles' induction to the Rock and Roll hall of fame - although personally I don't go out of my way to listen to Miles, it's undeniable that he was a great innovator in the world of jazz, however, I just can't seem to get how Miles gets a nomination nod for the Rock and Roll hall of fame, and groups like Chicago get bypassed entirely.

I had no idea that you were on the YMCA cut! Did you do the whole album, or just that particular track, because there's some killer horns all over the album.

I will think of you from now on every time we cover that in the party band. :D

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a category called "side men" which is largely overlooked (in my opinion) and I think that some session players have been inducted.

We should inundate the Rock and Roll hall of fame with emails nominating Wilmer! :D

Another cool tidbit - on Paul Simon's hit album "Graceland" the session credits for trumpet are:

Alan Rubin (also known as Mr. Fabulous from the Blues Brothers - Wilmer, do you know him?)
    Ronald Brecker (Any relation to Randy?)
    Randy Brecker
    Lew Soloff
    Jon Faddis
    Earl Gardner

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,163252,00.html

Interesting - there are several Rubins mentioned in the credits - are they related?

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    We, Faddis, Soloff, Rubin and Wise played together on the Stanley Clarke "Journey to Love" album. Alan was also on some of the Village People albums. There are lots of uncredited recording we are on.
    Wilmer

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I tell you Wilmer, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for the sessions you play and have played.

If ANYONE thinks that they have never heard Wilmer Wise play, they had better think again! :D

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Patrick,
    Chicago was certainly a pioneer in the rock band with horns category, but Miles was in part responsible for uniting two of the most important musics of the twentieth century. Listen to Bitches Brew and tell me you don't hear Jimi Hendrix, delta blues and hard bop all rolled into one thing? Chicago had/has great tunes, but they play by the rules for the most part. For me, it's like comparing Brahms to Schoenberg. Both were great, but one was great because they stayed within a clearly defined tradition and the other was more about breaking down boundaries, be it tonality or the divide between popular American musics.

-Jimi

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I truley believe Mr. wise to be a national treasure! :bravo:

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I will join you in that toast to Mr. Wise, Clarence.

Gezondheid Wilmer! :bravo: