(rock) bands with wind / trumpet section in them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    Almost all of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's music has wind and string in it... almost all have saxophone and violin and harmonica, about half have trumpet. I would really look at their catalog, some excellent and well recognized stuff in there.

BTW if you ever want to see a good concert, see them live. The man always puts on a 4 hour show with a ten song encore. You definitely get your money's worth. Anytime he's on the East Coast of the States I make it a point to see him.

3. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    There ya go . . . . :thumbsup:

Here are 10 horn-band classics that still hold their popularity today:

Chicago - "25 or 6 To 4," "Make Me Smile," "Beginnings"

Earth, Wind & Fire - "Fantasy," "Gotta Get You Into My Life," "September"

Blood, Sweat & Tears - "Spinning Wheel," "You Made Me So Very Happy," "And When I Die"

Ides Of March - "Vehicle"

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Huey Lewis and the News, Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Earth Wind and Fire, Genesis/Phil Collins are all laden with horn parts.
    Hard to Handle - Done more recently by the Black Crows (originally Otis Redding maybe) lends itself to horn parts, as do many old Motown R&B songs.
    La Grange that you mentioned above, you could play the underlying rhythm on horns.
    Any big disco crowd pleaser like YMCA, still works with a college crowd.
    Baker Street, Pick up the Pieces, Ghostbusters, and Proud Mary all have horns in them.
    Crazy Little Thing (Called Love - by Queen perhaps) is on your list and wouldn't be hard to add horn parts.

5. ozie24

ozie24 New Friend

Sep 8, 2009
    Jamaica
    Hey, I just joined a rock/reggae band that wanted a horn player as well.
    Some of the stuff we have done since i joined (playing trumpet and flugel) already have dedicated horn lines, others, i just did a bit of arranging and came up with my own stuff that the band approved... here is a small list. (at the office now and dont have my notebook here to check back for the other songs)
    Tub Thumping (really nice reference at the end to Trumpet Voluntary)
    Mercy Mercy
    I dont need no doctor
    Good love is on the way...

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'd like to note that Hal Leonard has a "best of Blood, Sweat, and Tears" book that has the horn parts (and solos) verbatim. If you decide to play any BS&T, it will set you back about $20 but you'll save a lot of time.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    In my opinion, one of Chicago's best songs never gets mentioned -- "Introduction" from the first album. It's a terrific song which promised much great music to follow. Unfortunately (again, in my opinion) all the great music which did follow is all on the first disk of that 2-disk initial offering and everything after that was a disappointment.

8. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
  9. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    we play some Chicago and I'd play them all nite except there's one problem, most of their stuff isn't danceable ie if your in a dance club people can't dance to most of their stuff. Now KC and the Sunshineband is a different story.