Rocky Mountain Trumpet Festival wrap-up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrentAustin, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ttt....

Just back from the airport and before I dust off the rusty recital music I just wanted to send a personal BIG (!!!!!!!!!!!) thanks to Bill Spickler and Dave Stephens for having me out at this year's RMTF. It was an absolutely wonderful weekend. Dr. Murray at UNC did an amazing job hosting the event as well as getting interest out to the local community. The clinics were all great, hearing all the guests play was fantastic, the student trumpet ensembles (especially UNC on Friday night) SOLID, and people totally into the trumpet.

Hanging out with students (either by informally jamming at the fest, during the clinic, or at the restaurant after our performance Saturday) was tons of fun. It's inspiring for me as an educator to see the future of the trumpet right in front of me. Keep up the great work!

For $25 (and the chance to win a ton of door prizes!) it would be an incredible value without the guests... but I was very happy to come. I thought the admission could have easily been doubled and it would have represented a tremendous value still.

I brought a bunch of Wedge mouthpieces for people to try and I enjoyed talking "shoppe" with inquisitive students and adult trumpeters.

The highlight for me was formally meeting Chase Sanborn and hanging with him during the weekend. Chase should be the role model for all of us... he's a great player, tremendous clinician, great guy and a wonderful example of a successful musician/businessman. He makes his career happen as opposed to most of us (myself included) who expect things to happen.

I read his "Music Business Tactics" book on the flight home and it will be a MUST have for all my performance majors. I'm also extremely excited to pull out the tuner and work with the drones on Tuning Tactics. I'm going to really enjoy finally learning to play in tune. Thank you Chase! (Chase Sanborn his books are a great value... commercial over ;))

Next year's event is going to be an amazing weekend of music... anyone within a 5-6 hour drive (or flight!) should check it out.

Anyone who wants detailed notes from my clinic who attended send me a PM and I'll provide them to you.

Without die-hard fans like Bill and Dave who poured tons of time, effort, and money into the massive amount of organization these events would never happen. Please say "thanks" to them by telling your friends about the event. Let's make RMTF '09 the biggest yet!

Regards,

Trent

PS: The final performance of the mass trumpet ensemble in the ampitheater was fantastic!

2. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    if i'm not mistaken, anyone is allowed to come to one of these things right? My best friend and i have been wanting to get out to the one at rayburn in new york since freshman year, but i have been hesitant that i'll be the only young person there. Trent, is it unusual for a bunch of high school seniors to show up?

3. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Nick, We always welcome anyone who is interested in playing/enjoying trumpet music; there is no age limit. This year we did have a couple of sessions just directed towards high school students. Dr. Murray explained the criteria for selection to the Colorado All-Sate band and he talked about how to select and apply to college music programs.

The RMTF will be at Colorado State University next Fall at about the same time depending on football schedules. Our host will be Dan Kuehn, head of the trumpet studio at CSU. We hope to have a great line-up of clinicians and exhibtors and a great time to be had by all.

If anyone wants to be on the emailing list about future RMTFs send me a PM and we'll put you on the list. Dave Sephens sends out The Rocky Mountain Trumpeter, a newsletter about trumpet topics in general in the Rocky Mountain region. We'll get you on that list as well.

See you next year.

4. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Oh, and BTW, I know who won the great New York Trumpet Company NY7 B-flat trumpet door prize, what a beauty. I may be able to post the winner on here when SHE gets the message. Thanks, Felix for making that possible.

5. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

Pictures,Pictures,Pictures........:)

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The horn or the winner? :thumbsup:

-cw-

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The horn was stunning, for sure. I don't know if I met the winner.

8. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hey, Bill and Trent.I know you guys are busy.
    Any pictures from the Festival ?
    I wish I could be there.