Rogers & Hammerstein’s If I Loved You Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Golfer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I got a copy of the sheet music for Rogers & Hammerstein’s ‘If I Loved You’ sometime ago. However because in went up to G just above the staff I forgot about it.
    Now that I can play a reasonable G just above the staff I’ve started to play it, as it is one of my favourite songs.
    The copy I have was written in Db and as with most pieces of sheet music I buy I write it into finale notepad, which helps me get a feel for the sound.
    I’ve played it a few times recently as written (Db) and as it didn’t sound quite right to my ear I started to play it as written but in a different key. I tried it in the key of G and then in the key of D which to my ear sounds the best.
    Is there some inherent music theory behind this that I’m not aware of, or is it that I don’t have a very good ear?
    I’ve been playing for just over 4 years and I turn 59 years old this May.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Was this sheet music for voice and piano? If you have perfect pitch, then it sounds funny because the trumpet is 2 semitones lower than the notation. If it is written in Db then play it in Eb and that will fix the discrepancies. Everything should be played a whole step above where it is written. if you already knew this, I am sorry. Just thought I would go with the obvious first. let me know if this fixes things for you.

3. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    A little off the subject but worth bringing up, check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk's version of "If I Loved You" here. Absolutely killer. One of the greatest live recordings of all time (regardless of genre) and you'll never think of this song in the same way again:

allmusic ((( Bright Moments > Overview )))

4. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I recorded my practice session last Friday (12th feb) and took the opportunity to record my playing of ‘If I loved you’ in both keys. When I played them back the original key (Db) sounded best to my ear. So I’ve either not got a good ear, or (as I would like to think) my laziness got the better of me as I’m comfortable with the key of D and not so with Db.
    I don’t use any sophisticated recording equipment, just a cassette recorder, however what I hear coming out of the bell is more or less what I hear in playback.
    Ed I’m pretty sure I bought an electronic copy of the piece and changed the sheet music for Bb trumpet before I printed my copy (you only get 1 copy). Yes Ed I’m aware that music for piano & voice is in concert C and therefore should be transposed up one tone. However my trumpet mentor (who was a well respected 1’st chair cornetist in a well known Brass band, now retired) told me that I didn’t need to transpose concert C pieces whilst playing on my own. However If I was playing in an ensemble then it was compulsory.